[TUTORIAL] If you are new to PVE, read this first; it might assist you with choices as you start your journey

For me an "external" documentation site seems to be useful. The official https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html is a little bit "dry" sometimes. That one is very good as a reference guide but it does fail to explain some basics in an understandable way for a beginner.

Nearly all of @Dunuin hints I need to agree to. Any recommendation should always bring a user to the save side: it is better to have enterprise grade hardware and redundancy. (But I would prefer ZFS also on a single disk - for its data integrity check and bitrot detection.)

The "safe side" includes hardware usually used in the Enterprise, not at home. Of course your https://portal.habitats.tech/Proxmox+VE+(PVE)/2.+PVE+7.x+-+Hardware does list some valid and interesting devices.

Just one detail popped up to me: as a recommendation you should at least mention ECC. In fact the full text search gives zero hits for this.

(FTR: my own homelab is only ~33% ECC - for the usual reasons.)

Basically I just wanted to give a little bit positive feedback :)

Reactions: tweaks
The power-loss protection of an enterprise SSD is by the way not just for data integrity in case of a power failure. Without it, the SSD can't cache sync writes in DRAM cache, as DRAM is volatile and write-cached data would be lost. With a power-loss protection it can run for some seconds on the supercaps and switch to panic mode, quickly dumping all the data from volatile DRAM cache to non-volatile SLC cache before the power runs out.

Have a look at the Proxmox ZFS benchmark paper for 4K sync write performance and you will see how terrible sync write performance without power-loss protection is:
1681816024763.png
So IOPS performance dropping from 17485 down to 254 (both MLC SATA) just because Power-loss Protection (PLP) is missing, is a very big hit.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!