If a PCIe HBA added to a client vm and both possible host HOSTS have identical hardware setup including the same model HBA can HA be kept?

Citizen

Jan 11, 2024
If a PCIe HBA added to a client vm and both possible host HOSTS have identical hardware setup including the same model HBA can HA be kept?

In short I have a disk shelf connected to the host with a HBA. I do want to keep it as High availability as failover. So that if PVE1 fails the VM will move to PVE2 and mount the HBA in that other node. Effectively only having a possible reboot down time and live access to data. This would allow only the Root drive to be on the host storage with a replicate job to both nodes (would have it replicate to the others too but they would not have access to the HBA so would be just backups and not able to work)

All info i see if if i pass them to vm the replicate is broken. As both hosts would have the same config and same model HBA with same PCIe mount point they effectively both have access to the storage allowing this to be a poor mans high availably cluster with only 2 nodes.

My question is as my setup would be identical setup on both vms would this work? Is their a way to get this to work?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!