I would like to physically migrate the storage backing a VM. Aside from their "storage", what constitutes a VM?

Replicant

May 31, 2021
I will travel to and setup a PVE host in another country. In the meantime, I have setup its storage (ZFS pool) in PVE the current country. So, there are two ZFS "storages" on my PVE host defined in storage.cfg, one [current-host-data] and one [future-host-data].

Both contain a mix of VM disks and non-VM data

I have several VMs that are quite large (one is nearly 3TB). I don't think it will be practical to send them over the internet. I could do backups, save to disk, then transfer the disks when I travel. However, I thought:
  • I don't want to store the backups in a single-disk, anything I migrate will be redundant (vibrations on plane)
  • I will already be moving one ZFS pool with or without VM disks
  • This pool is redundant
  • Therefore I should store the VM disks on them as well.
It is my thinking that I can (and I have) moved the the VM disks from [current-host-data] to [future-host-data]. So on my new host, I can import the pool. The VM volumes should be inside as well. But I think Proxmox won't see anything. Do I need to simply migrate the /etc/pve/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf as well?

(I know LXC containers are defined by the volume + the lxc.conf file)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!