[SOLVED] I/O errors with H310 Mini flashed to IT mode

turnicus

Jun 15, 2020
Hello,

This is my first message so I hope to be in the right section. I am the proud owner of a Dell R720 with drives (hdd's and ssd's) attached through a H310 MINI flashed to LSI's IT mode firmware (as described on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Xi5NZRlXM and https://www.scribd.com/document/457701128/Flash-H310-MM-IT).

My R720 is the 16x 2.5 drives version and my goal is to use ZFS for everything:

- ZFS for the OS: 2x small ssd's in RAID1

- ZFS for the data: a slow RAID10 pool of hdd's + a fast RAID10 pool of sdd's

Unfortunately, I have never been able to achieve this setup because of multiple errors: sometimes the installation failed, sometimes the boot failed, ... I tried many permutations of: booting in bios vs UEFI, LSI firmware in version P20 vs P19, remove all disks except 2 for the installation, etc...

But I read a lot of "blk_update_request: I/O error..." errors so I guess all my failed attempts are related to a bad connection with the disks. I experience the same problem if I boot on a live Ubuntu because sometimes I can format the drives and sometimes I can't (it's completely erratic).

The disks are almost new and SMART values look OK: "SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED". The cables look OK too.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!

Hi,

I would try to isolate the problem. Maybe your server have a onboard SATA port, so you could try to make a fresh install and see if the SATA disk is OK. Or maybe you have another server / Desktop where you can make this test. If you do not see any error, then you know that the H310 mini is the problem. And also double ckeck your SATA/SAS cables in a similar way like for SATA. I have seen this probleme in few situation.

Good luck, you will ned a lot ;)

Hello. It was the H310 MINI. I swapped it for another unit and problems are gone. Thanks for your help

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!