I need a new cluster strategy - cloud computing

berkaybulut

Feb 8, 2023
Hello, I am a long-time proxmox user.
We have purchased the following hardware for a new project and are about to launch a cloud computing platform at the entry stage. But I still haven't clarified the installation strategy and scenario.

Hardwares:
5 x Dell PowerEdge R630
1 x Dell Unity 600F
5 x Intel X520-DA2 10G Network Card
5 x FC Card

Our Requirements:
HA must be active.
It must have snapshot and clone support.
Shared Storage (for HA)

On the hardware and infrastructure side, we are fully prepared, but we still haven't clarified how we will proceed on the storage side.

Scenario 1:
Use thick LVM with iSCSI. (It does not support snapshot - a big disadvantage for us)

Scenario 2:
Ceph installation and using iSCSI for OSD disks. (Everything is perfect, but I have fears for the performance.)

Does anyone know any other scenarios?

1 x Dell Unity 600F
5 x FC Card

Our Requirements:
HA must be active.
It must have snapshot and clone support.
Shared Storage (for HA)
As mentioned by @gurubert Ceph is not meant to work with external storage, its designed for local disks.
Given your infrastructure investment and your requirements, you've backed yourself into the only solution possible - OCFS2 formatted luns with QCOW2 as VM storage.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: gurubert

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!