[SOLVED] I don't get email notifications working.

ColinDexter

Jul 3, 2023
I'm trying to set up the email notification. I have configured my from address in datacenter\options\email from address. My mail server accepts messages on port 25. With telnet I can access this server / port. Only no messages are coming in. I also tried to set my mailserver at relayhost in /etc/postfix/main.cf. But this makes no difference
Also I don't get a /var/log/mail.log file.

service postfix status give:
● postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/postfix.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
Active: active (exited) since Sun 2023-08-13 17:07:55 CEST; 33min ago
Docs: man: postfix(1)

Main PID: 1089 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CPU: 1ms

Aug 13 17:07:55 VWD001n systemd[1]: Starting postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transpor>
Aug 13 17:07:55 VWD001n systemd[1]: Finished postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transpor>

Do I need to configure anything additional to activate email in proxmox?

Kernel Version Linux 6.2.16-6-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.2.16-7
PVE Manager Version pve-manager/8.0.4

Last edited:
Do I need to configure anything additional to activate email in proxmox?
Normaly not. Do an test. Open 2 terminals. In one terminal you open the logs:

Code:
journalctl -f

In the other termnal, you send an testmail:

Code:
sendmail blabla@whatever.xx

your message

In the logs you should see an process/output whether the mail was sent successfully.

Thanks, it works now. Because I could now see a log with journalctl -f it turned out that myhostname was not set up correctly

Reactions: fireon
Nice to read :) Please set your thread to solved by editing your first post and set the flag. Thank you :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!