I can't seem to have shared template

karnalta

Jan 25, 2024
Hello all,

I am fairly new to Proxmox so forgive me if I am on a completely wrong path.

I have three nodes into a cluster and a shared NFS storage (truenas).

I have made a template VM on host1 and have successfully moved the disk on the NFS share.

But, when I want to clone the template with as target host2 or host3, it tell me they are not valid target.

What am I missing ?

Thank for your help.

Can you provide:
- pveversion
- qm config [templateID]
- exact error from the clone task , or run CLI with appropriate options provide output of that

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Sorry for the late reply.

All 3 nodes are in 8.1.3.

Here is the template .conf :

Code:
agent: 1
boot: order=scsi0
cipassword: $5$hB4DfLjU$qCfNFiEJOJRry2uiI5rBqe4BbOgazJqnU.98Xx/yReA
ciuser: dimitri
cores: 1
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
ide0: local:801/vm-801-cloudinit.qcow2,media=cdrom
ide2: none,media=cdrom
ipconfig0: ip=dhcp,ip6=dhcp
memory: 2048
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.2,ctime=1711534485
name: kn-ubuntu-22-04-template
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:D9:12:B5,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: truenas-exchange:801/base-801-disk-0.raw,iothread=1,size=16G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
serial0: socket
smbios1: uuid=3af500db-03ce-4073-ba05-f3a5029e9f9b
sockets: 1
template: 1
vga: serial0
vmgenid: 94318499-8380-4f33-98c5-14f71b0b5d6f

And here is the error :

proxmox.jpg

The only thing I see is that the cloudinit qcow2 image is on the local storage of node 1. But it seem that cloudinit disk cannot be moved ?

Thank for help.

EDIT :

I think I solved my issue. I have moved manually the cloudinit qcow2 image to the shared storage and edited the template conf file (as it was not possible to do it by UI) and now I can clone it on any host.

Last edited:
The only thing I see is that the cloudinit qcow2 image is on the local storage of node 1. But it seem that cloudinit disk cannot be moved ?

Thank for help.

EDIT :

I think I solved my issue. I have moved manually the cloudinit qcow2 image to the shared storage and edited the template conf file (as it was not possible to do it by UI) and now I can clone it on any host.
yes, it was because you had disk on local storage. Cloudinit is a non-persistent disk, its regenerated on each start. You can simply remove/disable and re-add it on the correct storage.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!