HowTo use separate external partitions inside VM (KVM)

ACE_Map

Dec 31, 2009
Hi,

I'm using KVM for my virtual machines and I want to use some extra partitions from an available RAID-array inside of the VM's.

For example:
Host-System running proxmox resides on /dev/sda.

Host-System has also RAID-array on /dev/sdb[1,2,3,4] and I want to use /dev/sdb1 inside of my VM's. /dev/sdb1 is formatted as ext3 and holds data that should be accessible from different VM's and (maybe) from outside, too.

/dev/sdb1 therefore cannot be used as VM-storage to place the VM itself on it. It is simply a data-container that should be accessible from multiple VM's.

Any ideas how this could be managed?

Thanks.

Host-System:
Code:
ide0: VMs:102/vm-102-disk-1.qcow2
ide1: /dev/mapper/diskvg-test

But unfortunately this will provide the given partition as complete Harddisk. Then I can partition this harddisk again. But I only wanted to mount/use the partition itself without modifying it in the first step.

But unfortunately this will provide the given partition as complete Harddisk. Then I can partition this harddisk again.

Why is that a problem?

But I only wanted to mount/use the partition itself without modifying it in the first step.

Simply mount it - what is the problem?

Hi,

I'm using KVM for my virtual machines and I want to use some extra partitions from an available RAID-array inside of the VM's.

For example:
Host-System running proxmox resides on /dev/sda.

Host-System has also RAID-array on /dev/sdb[1,2,3,4] and I want to use /dev/sdb1 inside of my VM's. /dev/sdb1 is formatted as ext3 and holds data that should be accessible from different VM's and (maybe) from outside, too.

/dev/sdb1 therefore cannot be used as VM-storage to place the VM itself on it. It is simply a data-container that should be accessible from multiple VM's.

Any ideas how this could be managed?

mounting ext3 partitions from multiple guest can cause data corruption. why don´t you use nfs for example?

Why is that a problem?

Simply mount it - what is the problem?

Okay, let's assume I have a valid partition accessible on the PROXMOX host-system as /dev/mapper/diskvg-test (10 GB, ext3 formatted, containing test-data).

If I use this partition with IDE-command in the conf-file, the VM will provide me this ext3-partition not as partition but as harddisk. The fdisk-command inside the VM complains that there are no valid partitions inside this harddisk.

If I partition this "harddisk" inside the VM I will corrupt the already available valid data on the underlying /dev/mapper/diskvg-test, doesn't I?

Oups, okay forget it.

I have just tried to mount the complete new harddisk and what should I say: it succeeds!

Thank you for your patience.

mounting ext3 partitions from multiple guest can cause data corruption. why don´t you use nfs for example?
Let the Proxmox Host run a nfs-server? And then exporting the directories? Might be some performance issue compared to direct access of the partition? Or, what I don't know, how this mapping of IDE-devices is made inside of the host-system with KVM. Perhaps this is also made via the IP-stack.

Let the Proxmox Host run a nfs-server? And then exporting the directories? Might be some performance issue compared to direct access of the partition? Or, what I don't know, how this mapping of IDE-devices is made inside of the host-system with KVM. Perhaps this is also made via the IP-stack.

Proxmox VE is a virtualization host. as it is based on Debian Linux, you can install a NFS server but this not recommended.

if you need shared storage, go for a SAN/NAS on an extra box with full manageability (e.g. Openfiler).

You can't access an ext3 partition from multiple guest - that will not work and you will end up with a damaged filesystem.
Yes, you're right. If multiple systems will have write-privileges there is no mutual exclusion available. So, I will end up with only one VM be granted access to a dedicated partition.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!