How would one go about replacing the only hard drive in the Proxmox machine?

arretx

Jul 15, 2020
I'm running Proxmox on a mini PC which is running Home Assistant in a VM.

I need to replace the hard drive, which is a 350GB SATA 2.5" Drive as it's beginning to fail.

Is there a procedure to follow for this, or should I just backup my VM, dump the drive, install Proxmox from scratch, and restore the VM?

You can also backup your "/etc/pve". Dont know how much you configured, but here it was a pain to setup all filewall rules again.
You could also try to use a clonezilla live USB stick to backup the complete HDD on block level incl. bootloader and so on and restore it to the new drive.

Last edited:
Id do it as follows: Get yourself a new disk and attach it via USB.
Then Boot a Linux and "dd" everything to the new drive.
Just make sure you are going the right way. If you do it the wrong way your data gets wiped!!!

Hmm...well, I dumped my VM, scp'd it to my other server, removed the hard drive, replaced it, re-installed proxmox, then restored the VM. Took about 30 minutes. Went from 350GB to 1TB and 4GB to 16GB ram...probably set for the time being on this little machine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!