How To Virtual Networking Between VMs

GaryDapogee

Dec 23, 2023
Hi, i'm noob on this platform and not so much knowledgeable in networking, and I'm not sure on the technical terms, or names to type in or search for.

I hope someone can help out on this one.

The Setup:
- I have a mini-pc with 4 physical ports.
- Physical Port 4 is bridged with vmbr0
- Physical Port 1 is bridged with vmbr1 (LAN/WAN on the same physical port, WAN is on `eth0.10` - I watched a youtube video to configure this)
- vmbr0 is not used on any VMs, I only use the port in accessing the PVE admin
- vmbr1 is being used with OpenWrt VM, configured and working

I want to achieve:
- Create a 2nd VM inside the PVE, and connect to OpenWrt VM's LAN without going out off the physical port, but tap to OpenWrt LAN within the PVE, Is this possible?
- So that the 2nd VM will get DHCP IP off the OpenWrt VM?
- The 2nd VM will be providing services on the local subnet

Last edited:
You could create a vmbr2, not attach it to a physical NIC. Then add a virtual NIC your OpenWRT VM is using for LAN to vmbr2. Other VMs/LXCs attached to vmbr2 then could access OpenWRTs LAN.

Reactions: GaryDapogee
You could create a vmbr2, not attach it to a physical NIC. Then add a virtual NIC your OpenWRT VM is using for LAN to vmbr2. Other VMs/LXCs attached to vmbr2 then could access OpenWRTs LAN.
Hi, thanks!

I tried, but how am I supposed to see the vmbr2 inside OpenWrt?

I tried in OpenWrt, by going to Network > Device > Add device configuration.

I'm really noob at this, and not sure where to go from here.

Thanks a mil! I finally made it work.

I was not looking at the right place.

Okay, so I had to actually go to the Proxmox VE admin ui, and go to the VM configuration, then add the virtual nic from there one.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!