How to setup DHCP for Windows 2012 KVM VM?

sonuyos

Jun 18, 2020
I wanted to enable DHCP feature for Windows 2012 KVM VM.

I have guest agent enabled templates, with cloud-init installed on the host.

I wanted to configure DHCP so that the IP would be locked per VM and the user cannot change it, unlike now, where guest agent sets up IP statically and any IP in the range can be used by simply changing it in network manager.

Please help me sort this.

Thanks.

hi,

you need to configure this on your DHCP server, based on the MAC address you can assign a specific IP.

hi,

you need to configure this on your DHCP server, based on the MAC address you can assign a specific IP.
So I have to create Mac id manually and assign ip to it manually? And then assign Mac address and DHCP enable?

MAC address is already generated for the network interfaces when you create the VM.

you need to assign a specific IP to that MAC on your DHCP server, then enable DHCP in the VM.

would also work if you generate MAC manually , but you don't have to

MAC address is already generated for the network interfaces when you create the VM.

you need to assign a specific IP to that MAC on your DHCP server, then enable DHCP in the VM.

would also work if you generate MAC manually , but you don't have to
My setup is slightly different however.

I do not have option for generating mac in my DC. All the ips are manually setup in the host using the interface and eth0:0, eth0:2....And so on.

Is there any guide on how to achieve dhcp here?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!