How to restore from a backup in PBS ?

Akhademik

Jun 6, 2023
i setup promox on a pc, and pbs on my synology nas. those 2 can talk to each other and do the backup fine. But after a while i still can't figure it out how to restore from psb to my proxmox?

Restore a backup from within a container/vm itself is ok fine. but let say if my whole proxmox broken and i still have PBS and those backup how can i do restore it? I setup a new proxmox and create an blank vm or container and back it up or what? what is the procedure to carry it out. I need to know just in case that day come. If you guys have a guide or a link to any documentation please link me to that. Thanks

1. install PVE
2. add existing PBS as storage (Datacenter -> Storage -> Add)
3. restore backup from PBS storage (select storage in tree, navigate to backups, select a backup and hit restore)

if you are using encryption for PBS, you also need to specify the existing encryption key when adding the storage, else decrypting your backups won't work.

1. install PVE
2. add existing PBS as storage (Datacenter -> Storage -> Add)
3. restore backup from PBS storage (select storage in tree, navigate to backups, select a backup and hit restore)

if you are using encryption for PBS, you also need to specify the existing encryption key when adding the storage, else decrypting your backups won't work.
Awesome. That's exactly what i need. Thanks for your help.

Hi i want to ask another question related to this topic.

so i have 2 pve lets call it pve-1 and pve-2 and a backup server pv-bkk

i successfully intergrade pve-1 + pv-bkk
now i setup pve-2 and intergrated it with pv-bkk.
I'm trying to restore all the cts/vms from pve-1 to pve-2 so i can do another thing on my pve-1. But the problem is that i can only restore VMs from pve-bkk to pve-2, if i tried to restore CTs it will throw an error about not enought storage on my pve-2 which is not true.

Error: error extracting archive - error at entry "available": failed to copy file contents: No space left on device (os error 28)

Why is that and how can i fix it?

what was the source storage (where the CT volumes were stored on pve-1), and what is the target storage (where you attempt to restore on pve-2)?

on pve-1 i have 1nvme and 1 ssd, i use sdd for the CT/VM and i called it STORAGE and that ct/vm store on that STORAGE
on pve-2 i have 1nvme and by default system created local-lvm and i used that

Screenshot 2023-07-13 141401.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-13 141309.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-13 141309.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2023-07-13 141448.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-13 141448.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 18
as you can see from the screenshot, i successfully restored 3 VMS to pve-2, but when i tried CT it fail i tried severals CT and all failed

sorry, should have been more specific - what storage type was the source storage.. zfs by chance?

Reactions: Akhademik
then the issue is very simple - your backup contains more data than can fit in an uncompressed volume of the given size, since the original volume on ZFS had compression.

two options to get out of it:
- get the uncompressed size (zfs get logicalused ..), resize the disk on the source so that all the data would fit onto it uncompressed, redo the backup, restore the new backup
- manually restore using `pct restore`, where you can override the mountpoint definitions, including the size of each mountpoint to make it bigger

then the issue is very simple - your backup contains more data than can fit in an uncompressed volume of the given size, since the original volume on ZFS had compression.

two options to get out of it:
- get the uncompressed size (zfs get logicalused ..), resize the disk on the source so that all the data would fit onto it uncompressed, redo the backup, restore the new backup
- manually restore using `pct restore`, where you can override the mountpoint definitions, including the size of each mountpoint to make it bigger
Thanks for your info. since this pve2 is new, so to save all the hassle i'll just remove proxmo and fresh install this thine i'll chose zfs then it will be easier for me. Thanks for your help :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!