How to not install/remove pve-esxi-import-tools

Alecz

Mar 12, 2024
For those of us that have no need to migrate from ESXi, import ESXi VMs, etc, how can we not have this installed?

During a routine system update, I get this:
Bash:
apt upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-5-pve-signed pve-esxi-import-tools python3-pyvmomi
The following packages will be upgraded:

How can I run apt upgrade without installing the unwanted/unneeded pve-esxi-import-tools package?

I didn't want to add this to the https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/n...ng-vmware-esxi-based-virtual-machines.144023/ thread because it would easily get lost and hard to find via search.

I Googled this, but all the results are for people that need help using the tool rather than getting rid of it.

The doc page doesn't seem to cover this case either:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migrate_to_Proxmox_VE

even if I am answering my own question here, I hope it will help others in the future:

Bash:
# apt-mark hold pve-esxi-import-tools
pve-esxi-import-tools set on hold.

This prevents the package from being installed in the first place or after it has been manually removed.

However, it also blocks other packages:
Bash:
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-5-pve-signed
The following packages have been kept back:
  libpve-storage-perl pve-manager
The following packages will be upgraded:

So is it possible to have libpve-storage-perl and pve-manager updates without pve-esxi-import-tools ?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!