How to move existing PBS to new installation?

jnkraft

Mar 30, 2021
I have PBS+PVE(VM with Bacula for file-level backup) server with one host-lv for datastore and another host-lv passed as physical disk to Bacula VM.
OS is installed on mdadm raid1 HDDs, i want to do a clean installation on SSD raid on the same hardware server. Moving PVE-part to fresh installation is simple and obvious, but what about moving PBS-part? Will https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/configuration-files.html moving this files be enough to transfer existing PBS setup and settings to the new OS?

No, while moving these config files is a good starting point, you will have to also move all the files for each datastore found under its backing path, while keeping the ownership and permission information, to fully reconfigure your PBS.

Not sure about your current setup though, you have a VM which runs PVE and PBS on the same virtual host? I would recommend against co-installations of PVE and PBS, as this might cause issues during upgrades.

No, while moving these config files is a good starting point, you will have to also move all the files for each datastore found under its backing path, while keeping the ownership and permission information, to fully reconfigure your PBS.

Not sure about your current setup though, you have a VM which runs PVE and PBS on the same virtual host? I would recommend against co-installations of PVE and PBS, as this might cause issues during upgrades.
Hi Chris, thanks for your answer!

Rightnow datastore lives on lvm on remote iscsi (temporary solution), so my guess just readding iscsi-target to new installation with same paths would do the trick? Later datastore will be migrated to local storage via lvm pvmove.

PBS and PVE are co-installed on a physical host. Main role is PBS, PVE instance exists only to host VM with Bacula server. I upgraded this server several times from 7.3 to current 8.1 with no single issue. Main reason of doing fresh installation - long time ago this server was a part of PVE cluster, and there are some mess and scraps of pve configs and ZFS pools that existed on this node before.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!