How to migrate LXC disk file to PVE host?

Becod

Feb 11, 2020
Here's the thing:

I have nearly 20TB of files on my LXC drive,

For some reason, I have to migrate these files to the PVE host,

The problem now is that I don't have so much space to stage these files for me to migrate,

So I would like to ask how to migrate these files from LXC to the PVE host in limited space.

hi,

it might be possible to just stop the container and mount it, then the files will be accessible on the host. you can transfer what you need and unmount it later.

pct stop CTID && pct mount CTID will mount. when you're done run pct unmount CTID

hi,

it might be possible to just stop the container and mount it, then the files will be accessible on the host. you can transfer what you need and unmount it later.

pct stop CTID && pct mount CTID will mount. when you're done run pct unmount CTID
Thank you for your timely reply! But this is not the solution I want.

My request is to move the LXC files to the PVE host.

Instead of copying one copy in the PVE host.

I asked questions in the forum because I couldn't reduce the size of the LXC's hard drive while moving files.

It will always take up that space unless I delete it.

It's a RAW file that already takes up so much space when it's created.

do you have any other storage you can use? maybe you can do 'Move Volume' and move it to an lvm-thin?

do you have any other storage you can use? maybe you can do 'Move Volume' and move it to an lvm-thin?
No, I said before:
The problem now is that I don't have so much space to stage these files for me to migrate,
That's why I came to the forum to ask questions.

What I can think of now is:

Move a part of the file and delete another part of the file. The space occupied by RAW files can be reduced (LXC hard disk uses RAW file format).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!