How to make the iSCSI Synology NAS Drive on the Cluster accessible from the Mac OS X?

Mar 3, 2024
I have configure a cluster of 3 hosts and successfully connected iSCI NAS and the SMB NAS volumes to the Cluster.

My question is what do I need to create on the cluster to be able to access the iSCSI from other devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac OS X) via the cluster.

The specific reason for me wanting access to this is that in 2011 we had Intel Mac with Global San Initiator. These drivers are no longer supported on the Apple Silicon.

My alternative is I create something completely on the Proxmox Cluster to move the files from the iSCSI to the SMB File share (but what and how?)

The files I need to access are the older iPhoto library packages which are containers for all Photos. We have many years of family photos stored there Pre 2013.

I have configure a cluster of 3 hosts and successfully connected iSCI NAS and the SMB NAS volumes to the Cluster.
You are now running a Virtualization Platform. Install a VM that has built-in iSCSI support (any version of Linux or Windows). Directly connect to your iSCSI storage from that VM, then transfer the data to SMB share.
I expect that you can find step by step instructions on how to connect your VM's OS to Synology on Synology's website.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

You are now running a Virtualization Platform. Install a VM that has built-in iSCSI support (any version of Linux or Windows). Directly connect to your iSCSI storage from that VM, then transfer the data to SMB share.
I expect that you can find step by step instructions on how to connect your VM's OS to Synology on Synology's website.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
I've started to do this and have got to the stage where I need to add the storage via 'Manage Storage Spaces'. The Western Digital link mentions format, do you know if this just attaches the drive or will format it?

Reactions: Kingneutron
I've started to do this and have got to the stage where I need to add the storage via 'Manage Storage Spaces'. The Western Digital link mentions format, do you know if this just attaches the drive or will format it?
If you have data there, then you definitely dont want to format it. Windows is not great with recognizing non-windows disk formats. Its also very easy to accidentally write a new signature and hose the data.

My preference would be to attach this disk, if it has data, to a Linux host. At this point, however, this has nothing to do with the purpose of this forum of "PVE installation and configuration". I'd recommend to do more research and to measure twice before cutting.

Good luck

Reactions: Kingneutron
> My preference would be to attach this disk, if it has data, to a Linux host

^^ This. With an fstab entry, you could mount it R/O for extra safety.

I've just looked at this and their tools do support this, so I may need to buy the license, I will explore the Windows option first.
I sprang for the license and am fairly happy with the software. Using it on 2 older Macs to do CCC and Super Duper backups to a SuSE SSD laptop running iscsi with ZFS zvol backing storage. Yast makes it really easy to configure iscsi.

Just be aware that their software only gets ~50MB/sec sustained over 1Gbit network; IDK if it's an artificial limit/throttle or what, but you won't be getting wire speed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!