How to install the LSI Megaraid SAS driver

hisaltesse

Mar 4, 2009
Anyone knows how one can install the LSI MEGARAID SAS driver at boot on Proxmox 1.9?

What would be the equivalent of the "linux dd" command on proxmox for installing via drivers disquette?

these driver should work already, pls give all details about your issue, which driver is missing in detail, which card got the issue?

Hi Tom,

I am using the MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i and correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that Proxmox compiles a generic driver that could work with this?

My concern is whether the driver that comes with proxmox is optimized to take advantage of the power of this card or does it NOT matter? So to be safe I thought I could install the MegaRAID SAS Device Driver: Debian - 5.0 - 10M12

So my questions are:

1. if I want to use their actual driver, how can I install it to proxmox at boot time?

2. if it is not possible then is there a way to install it once proxmox is already installed with the generic driver but then tell proxmox to use that driver instead? If so how?

Thanks for letting me know.

you cannot install this on boot time.

I just checked which driver is in our latest kernel:

Code:
root@pmx1:~# modinfo megaraid_sas

filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.32-6-pve/kernel/drivers/scsi/megaraid/megaraid_                                                        sas.ko
description:    LSI MegaRAID SAS Driver
author:         [EMAIL="megaraidlinux@lsi.com"]megaraidlinux@lsi.com[/EMAIL]
version:        00.00.05.34-rc1
license:        GPL
srcversion:     52F5181941EEC0749430D14
alias:          pci:v00001000d0000005Bsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00001028d00000015sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00001000d00000413sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00001000d00000071sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00001000d00000073sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00001000d00000079sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00001000d00000078sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00001000d0000007Csv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00001000d00000060sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00001000d00000411sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends:
vermagic:       2.6.32-6-pve SMP mod_unload modversions
parm:           poll_mode_io:Complete cmds from IO path, (default=0) (int)
parm:           max_sectors:Maximum number of sectors per IO command (int)
parm:           msix_disable:Disable MSI-X interrupt handling. Default: 0 (int)
root@pmx1:~#

is this on not working?

this seems to answer my question. It is clear now that you have that driver built-in and that I probably don't need to re-install it.

Now what about the Megaraid Storage Manager? I noticed that the instructions to install the Adaptec storage agent is great. What about instructions on how to install the Megaraid storage manager on proxmox so I can remotely manage the storage controller?

Just google for installations instruction for Debian. I have no such hardware here so I cannot make a howto.

I just talked to LSI support and they confirmed that there is no version of their storage manager for Debian. Only for RedHat/CentOS.

Tough call now whether I should use Proxmox or CentOS. Maybe I should just use their command line interface so i can stick with proxmox.

A lot of Redhat tools only can also be used on Debian - but most times not "officially".

I have tried these packages and they work with respect to using it as a command line tool.

I have not been able to connect the storage manager interface to proxmox.

I believe that these are the commands that I am able to currently use:

megaraidsas-status
megaclisas-status

megacli

You probably also want the latest Lsi driver - I added a post a few days back on how to compile and add it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!