How to install the first VM from iso images

teiafer

Feb 2, 2022
Hi,

I have a proxmox 7.1 (without subscription) updated at now. I downloaded Ubuntu20 iso image to install my first VM, but I can't because I dont find a way to tell to proxmox where it is. At the time to choose to install from image the field storage could not be filled and if I put in ISO images the name of the image it can't find it and I don't have the option to continue:

1645231123092.png

What can I do?

Thx to replying people, best to everyone,

Teiafer

Did you unzip the ISO?
Did you place the ISO in the correct folder in case you didn't uploaded it using the webUI?
PVE can only use ISOs that are uploaded to the correct folder to the server. If the ISO is still on your computer, open your webUI, go to your ISO storage (should be called "local" by default), click the "ISO Images" tab, then click on the "upload" button.

Last edited:
Did you unzip the ISO?
Did you place the ISO in the correct folder in case you didn't uploaded it using the webUI?

Thx for tour reply.

Yes.

I think not, because I don't know which the correct folder is and I can't find in my interface where the webUI Is, neither in the manual where the ISO file has to be put.

Regards,

Teiafer

@Dunuin, I tried the techviewleo.com link you provided and got this:
The owner of this website (techviewleo.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Upload-OS-ISO-files-in-Proxmox-VE-6-01.png).

@teiafer, I struggled with understanding this as well. What I did was:
- in the ProxMox UI look at Datacenter -> Storage (Proxmox UI should be at host machine IP at port 8006, also shown on physical console login screen)
- note the IDs that included "ISO image" in the Content column
1645244984090.png

- put ISO into the /templates/iso subdirectory of the location shown under the "Path/Target" column (eg: /var/lib/vz/template/iso)
- to verify it was there & Proxmox detected it, I went to the to the Node (the first tier under the primary "Datacenter") where I wanted to use the ISO on and selected the storage with the ID noted earlier -> ISO Images (if you don't see "ISO Images" you're not in a storage area that supports ISOs)
- make sure the ISO is listed
1645245284114.png

After that when I created a VM in that Node, I could just select that storage ID and the ISO would be listed for me to choose.
1645245351302.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Tmanok and teiafer
Thx for the reply, but I received:

Error 1011​

Ray ID: 6dfe6b5c8ebc0e06 • 2022-02-19 09:20:27 UTC

Access denied​

What happened?​

The owner of this website (techviewleo.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Upload-OS-ISO-files-in-Proxmox-VE-6-01.png).
Was this page helpful? Yes No
Cloudflare Ray ID: 6dfe6b5c8ebc0e06 • Your IP: 151.68.134.111 • Performance & security by Cloudflare

@Dunuin, I tried the techviewleo.com link you provided and got this:

@teiafer, I struggled with understanding this as well. What I did was:
- in the ProxMox UI look at Datacenter -> Storage (Proxmox UI should be at host machine IP at port 8006, also shown on physical console login screen)
- note the IDs that included "ISO image" in the Content column
View attachment 34393

- put ISO into the /templates/iso subdirectory of the location shown under the "Path/Target" column (eg: /var/lib/vz/template/iso)
- to verify it was there & Proxmox detected it, I went to the to the Node (the first tier under the primary "Datacenter") where I wanted to use the ISO on and selected the storage with the ID noted earlier -> ISO Images (if you don't see "ISO Images" you're not in a storage area that supports ISOs)
- make sure the ISO is listed
View attachment 34394

After that when I created a VM in that Node, I could just select that storage ID and the ISO would be listed for me to choose.
View attachment 34395

Thx for your detailed reply, but maybe I made something wrong before because I have

1645263246768.png

Then

1645263332140.png

Here I don't have ISO images. I tried this night at CLI to put my ISO image in /var/lib/vz/template/iso (by the meaning of the name of directories, not because I knew what I was doing) but I can't see it from the WebUI. Maybe there are something wrong with permissions, but I tried also to give to root@pam the right of Administrator, but it seems that I can't, because proxmox doesn't keep it.

1645263914921.png

1645264044423.png

Maybe I made some mistake at CLI before, because to get the system up and seemingly working I had to install a new kernel downloaded by hand on another machine. Now it works with a new one installed from CLI with apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade but maybe using either the CLI and the WebUI has generated some nasty effects.

Installing again (I did it before at least about ten times) is not so easy because on my hardware the system doesn't work well / doesn't work with the default kernel of 7.1, I don't have a connection by cable to internet and also the configuration of wireless connection at CLI was not so painless.

Thx again,

teiafer

Last edited:
Your "content" type for your "local" storage is only set to "Disk image" which means you can only store VMs on it. This isn't normal as per default it should be used for ISOs/backups/LXC templates/snippets and not VMs. Go to "Datacenter -> Storage -> Local -> Edit Button" to try to add other storage types like ISOs to that storage.

Reactions: Tmanok and teiafer
Your "content" type for your "local" storage is only set to "Disk image" which means you can only store VMs on it. This isn't normal as per default it should be used for ISOs/backups/LXC templates/snippets and not VMs. Go to "Datacenter -> Storage -> Local -> Edit Button" to try to add other storage types like ISOs to that storage.

Thank You @Dunuin! That worked.

Maybe I made changes I don't remember, trying to configure and boot a VM of the Windows machine previously installed instead of proxmox on this PC. I have one backup by clonezilla and the image on wich I experimented by vmware converter: do you know where can I find documentation about that, also if it is not a question regarding strictly Proxmox?

I've not used vmware converter myself, but in the past have had luck with creating a VM from a Clonezilla backup. And recently I've managed to do a P2V (Physical to Virtual) of a Windows 10 machine using the free version of Aomei Backupper to create the backup and then the recovery ISO (the Windows PE version) to restore it to a VM disk.

It actually worked pretty smoothly with the following caveats:
1. I was able to install the VirtIO drives on the physical machine before backup (this allowed the VM restored OS to boot right up)
2. I had to ensure my VM disk was GPT (I kept creating it as MBR somehow and ended up using DISKPART in the DOS window of Aomei Restore ISO to convert the MBR physical disk to GPT)

I'm sure there are easier ways to do it (perhaps VMWare Converter will be one of them), but gosh I had fun learning how to do it this way.

Good luck! :)

Reactions: teiafer
I've not used vmware converter myself, but in the past have had luck with creating a VM from a Clonezilla backup. And recently I've managed to do a P2V (Physical to Virtual) of a Windows 10 machine using the free version of Aomei Backupper to create the backup and then the recovery ISO (the Windows PE version) to restore it to a VM disk.

It actually worked pretty smoothly with the following caveats:
1. I was able to install the VirtIO drives on the physical machine before backup (this allowed the VM restored OS to boot right up)
2. I had to ensure my VM disk was GPT (I kept creating it as MBR somehow and ended up using DISKPART in the DOS window of Aomei Restore ISO to convert the MBR physical disk to GPT)

I'm sure there are easier ways to do it (perhaps VMWare Converter will be one of them), but gosh I had fun learning how to do it this way.

Good luck! :)

Thank You very much :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!