How to install Proxmox without CD ?

sylverb

May 4, 2009
Hello all,

It's now been few days I'm trying to install Proxmox on a server hosted by a colocation provider. I have access to the console and can also boot the system on a rescue mode (some sort of ubuntu livecd).

I've read that many distributions (including debian) allow installing the OS without the CD, as long as I mount the ISO image and copy initrd.img + the kernel (linux26 for proxmox) in my boot partition, copy all the install files on a partition outside root and then change grub menu to reflect the new changes and reboot the box. Unfortunately no matter what I do, the system always freeze when initrd and linux26 are loaded ... Am I missing something somewhere ? Is there any way to install proxmox without the CD ?

Thanks in advance for your help,
SB

ps: below what I've added in grub's menu.lst:
title PROMOX (New installation)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/linux26 vga=791 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr ramdisk_size=16777216 rw quiet splash=silent root=/dev/sda4
initrd /boot/initrd.img

and /ISO contains all the CD content - mounted under :
/dev/sda4 4.1G 683M 3.3G 18% /ISO

Do you have a similar, local box ?

You could always install it on a local box & dd it over. Use gparted to make the partition small.

Do you have a similar, local box ?

You could always install it on a local box & dd it over. Use gparted to make the partition small.

Hi

Could you please tell me more about this ? I do have a proxmox box already running, how do I "dd" it over ?

Thx
SB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!