How to install Proxmox to SSD and mirror?

baron164

Jan 16, 2024
I have some used server hardware I'm looking to acquire for new homelab Proxmox hosts. The only issue is that there are no hardware raid controllers in these machines. The servers however have room for two SSD's internally. I would like to install Promxox onto an SSD on Sata I and then mirror that to another SSD on Sata II. Is this something that could be done during the install of Proxmox using an LVM? This would only store the system volume, not VMs.

Depending who you ask, not having HW raid isn't a bad thing. I personally replaced all HW raid cards with a dumb HBA for ZFS anyway.
The PVE installer won't allow you to have mirrored LVM. Whats an option is a ZFS or btrfs mirror.

Ok, a btrfs mirror sounds good. As far as Proxmox is concerned is there a better option between ZFS and btrfs or are they pretty comparable?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!