How to get maximum network speed between CT/VM?

dominikp

Aug 28, 2018
I thought that network speed between CT/VMs which nic's are bridged to one physical nic is only limited by cpu/sata/pcie things. But lately someone told me that itsnot that simple. Physical NIC speed, virtual drivers choice and additional settings are also matter.

So if i have:
- CT (ubuntu + NFS server)
- VM (ubuntu + e1000 driver + NFS client)
- both bridged to 1Gbit physical nic (some HP card)

... how to get maximum speed between them? Am i capped by 1Gbit or not?

good morning, try to doing some test with iperf3, i do using a vmbr1 on a SAN area network between two Proxmox Servers:

- No issues on performance network.

iperf3 Server ( iperf3 -s ):

Captura de Tela 2019-12-31 às 09.55.52.png

Iperf client (iperf3 -c "IP destination Server"):

Captura de Tela 2019-12-31 às 09.55.31.png

Network Interfaces:

Captura de Tela 2019-12-31 às 09.55.15.png

Captura de Tela 2019-12-31 às 10.02.54.png

You didnt undestand.
I was asking about CT/VMs ON THE SAME machine and THE SAME bridge. And the goal is to get more than 1Gb speed - by that i mean to get close as much as possible to native machine speeds where you copy file from one folder to another. This is limited only by sata/sas/raid speeds (and NFS in this particular case).

Reactions: mplssilva
Hi,

If you use virtio nic on a vmbr network the speed is limited by the CPU/Memory.
On a current CPU without load, you should get about 20-40 GByte/s
e1000 is software emulated nic and ist with about 30 MBit very slow.

Reactions: mplssilva
Same question here... I have plenty of VMs on ONE host... How I have to configure the connection between these VMs that they can transfer files with fullspeed (and not routing over network switch etc)?

All VMs have virtio nic drivers. I want to copy files within one VM from network share (openmediavault VM) to another network share (same openmediavault VM but other share). Speed is still max. of 110 MByte/s. I want to reach maximum SATA-Speed/HDD-Speed (210 MB/s).

Is that possible?

Last edited:
Review your overalll network config.
Review your IPs, they have to be in the same network.
Maybe you have a stuck with your router (if you have) and have only 1Gbps instead of 10Gbps.

I have between all VMs and VM - host 10Gbps uplink. I don't know why 10,but actually i have no more than 9.8Gbps with iperf3, however cpu load is not greater than 20% and mem not more than 40%. (host on ryzen9 3950x,vms have 3 vcpu and 6Gb ram )

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!