Sahil

Jun 14, 2022
Hi there,

I need your help to set this disk as no and format this disk,

Can anyone please help me with this,

Kindly do the needful

1657890282160.png

How do you want to use it?
In case you want a LVM, LVM-thin, ZFS or Directory (ontop of ext4?) storage you can use the webUI under "Datacenter -> YourNode -> Disks -> LVM/LVM-thin/ZFS/Directory -> "Create: ..." button". This will partition your empty disk and create the selected storage type.

Otherwise you would have to partition and format it yourself using the CLI.

Edit: Got your question wrong. If you are sure there is no data on that disk you want to keep you can wipe it using the webUI: "Datacenter -> YourNode -> Disks -> select the disk you want to wipe -> Wipe button". But according to your screenshot this wipe button is missing, it it looks like you are running a outdated PVE version where the wipe button wasn't added yet. So you either could upgrade your PVE to a more recent version or use the CLI with commands like fdisk, parted, sgdisk and so on to remove all partitions or overwrite the partition table.

Last edited:
The LVM designation means that the disk is "owned" by LVM or at least has the signature on it. There may be data on it and other dependencies.
Before you can erase the disk you need to understand where it is being used. You can start with outputs of:
lsblk
pvs
vgs
lvs
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

Depending on the output, you may need to run through steps like these https://faun.pub/linux-quick-tip-how-to-delete-or-remove-lvm-volumes-7df4447102af
Or may be something simpler.

My advice - dont do anything until you fully understand all the pieces involved.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!