[SOLVED] How to "force-remove" container

thimplicity

Feb 4, 2022
Hi, I started Proxmox with putting docker into containers. After I learned the limitations and best practices, I switched to VMs. I still have one container left, that I am not able to start or remove.The error message is as follows:
  • Destroy: TASK ERROR: storage 'truenas-downloads' does not exist
  • Start: unable to apply pending change unused0 : storage 'truenas-downloads' does not exist. TASK ERROR: zfs error: cannot open 'nvme/subvol-200-disk-0': dataset does not exist
The storage that is referenced does not exist anymore. Is there a way to force-remove the container?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Check the vm config file via shell maybe the storage disk is still referenced there. If so delete the line and hopefully you can just delete is via GUI. The file path is /etc/pve/qemu-server/<VMID>. If that doesn't help removing the storage and vm config via ssh should remove it from the web gui but idk if you're leaving stuff behind if you do that.

Reactions: panchuz
Check the vm config file via shell maybe the storage disk is still referenced there. If so delete the line and hopefully you can just delete is via GUI. The file path is /etc/pve/qemu-server/<VMID>. If that doesn't help removing the storage and vm config via ssh should remove it from the web gui but idk if you're leaving stuff behind if you do that.
That helped - thanks!

TIL: containers configs are in /etc/pve/lxc/

Reactions: kuzco201
Hi,

@thimplicity :can you please elaborate on why you swithed to VM over CT for docker host?

I also read the recomendation, but it doesnt go into specifics.

And I am just about to make the same mistake... (docker on CT) out of curiosity. Cant help it.:rolleyes:

Thank you in advance.

pd: apologise for being off-topic

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!