[SOLVED] how to fix a VM to a Node, with HA activated

pille99

Sep 14, 2022
hello all,

all my VMs are activated in HA, but for some VMs they are not allowed to move to another Node (its more just as poor_mans_kind_of_backup).
in my case: i have on every node a firewall which manage the traffic. node01 - fw01, node02 - fw02 and so on. as you may already understand, HA moves it as needed, but than the connection is gone. the firewalls NEED to stay on the assigned node. how can i fix the firewall to the nodes but still have HA (in case of emergency, the server can be replaced and the fw_VM will be copied back to the new server. thx

Hi,
you can create a HA group with only that node and the restricted flag and select that group for your VM.

Hi,
you can create a HA group with only that node and the restricted flag and select that group for your VM.
sorry, i dont understand your point. with the HA function the "replication" of the VM will be done to the Nodes in the Group. if there is only one Node in the group, to doesnt replicate and the flar "restricted" isnt needed as well !!!

from the docu:
restricted: <boolean> (default = 0)
Resources bound to restricted groups may only run on nodes defined by the group

did i understood it wrong ?

sorry, i dont understand your point. with the HA function the "replication" of the VM will be done to the Nodes in the Group.
It's not replication, but recovery.
if there is only one Node in the group, to doesnt replicate and the flar "restricted" isnt needed as well !!!
No. It's just that the nodes in the group are preferred.
from the docu:
restricted: <boolean> (default = 0)
Resources bound to restricted groups may only run on nodes defined by the group
If you don't set the restricted flag, then HA is allowed to recover the VM to other nodes too, after trying all in the group.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!