How to emulate PS2 Keyboard drivers to KVM guest

ngurjar

Feb 25, 2015
Hi,
I have Old Windows Server. I have migrated to that to Proxmox KVM Guest using CDP backup.

However due to USB driver not installed I am not able to press "Ctrl+Alt+Del" on Proxmox Console.

So how can I add PS2 port or driver to Proxmox Guest VM.

Mouse is working, may be because it is detecting as PS2.

# info mice
Mouse #2: QEMU PS/2 Mouse
* Mouse #3: QEMU HID Tablet (absolute)

Is there any way to make PS2 keyboard?

Regards
Neelesh Gurjar

Last edited:
pveversion -v
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.4-156 (running kernel: 2.6.32-39-pve)
pve-manager: 3.4-6 (running version: 3.4-6/102d4547)
pve-kernel-2.6.32-39-pve: 2.6.32-156
lvm2: 2.02.98-pve4
clvm: 2.02.98-pve4
corosync-pve: 1.4.7-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3
libqb0: 0.11.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.10-2
pve-cluster: 3.0-17
qemu-server: 3.4-6
pve-firmware: 1.1-4
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-24
libpve-access-control: 3.0-16
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-33
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-3
vncterm: 1.1-8
vzctl: 4.0-1pve6
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.2-10
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-1

OS is having issue with USB driver.
And I think Keyboard driver is USB in proxmox.
Mouse is working as it PS2 but keyboard not working.

Keyboard works till safe mode. I could press F8 to enter into Safe mode. but it opens Ctrl+Alt+del screen, where sendkey is not working :(

Regards

If so your windows VM isn't able to detect the keyboard of your host? But are other keys then ctrl-alt-del working?

AFAIK, qemu is using an ps2 device for your VM, indifferent which keyboard your host has.

Hi Thomas,
No keys are working inside VM at "Windows Ctrl-alt-Del" screen. However they work well before .. such I could press F8 to go to safe Mode. but again at safe mode it shows screen of "Ctrl-Alt-Del" which does not work for me.

I guess Qemu uses USB driver for Keyboard and PS2 for mouse, correct me.

Regards

I've tested it, with a USB keyboard on the host, dmesg on an linux VM says that the same as with an real PS/2 keyboard on the host:

Code:
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input1

Which are quite compatible everywhere (and PS2 AFAIK), the keyboard shouldn't be directly the problem also.

Which windows server version do you use?

It is Windows Server 2003

try booting in safe mode, wait a minute a boot back into normal mode. sometime this helps to detect missing virtualized hardware on old windows installations.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!