How to disabled Nouveau kernel driver on proxmox

Alper ÖZATILGAN

Nov 25, 2016
Hi,
I want to install nvidia graphics card on my computer that installed proxmox. I downloaded from Nvidia website. But it didn't install because it says that the ERROR:
The Nouveau kernel driver is currently in use by your system. This driver is incompatible with the NVIDIA driver, and must be disabled before proceeding. Please consult the NVIDIA driver README and your Linux distribution's documentation for details on how to correctly disable the Nouveau kernel driver.
Also installation didn't succeed. This install is causing me great inconvenience. Please I need help.
What exactly do I need to do to disable Nouveau kernel driver?

Tanks for your answer but problem not solved. I receieved another error message:
Unable to find kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' RPM installed. If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.
Can you help me please?

Hi,

A solution without reboot.

1/ Check using driver with lspci -k
24:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd GM206 [GeForce GTX 960]
Kernel driver in use: nouveau
Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau

2/You can unbind driver.
# echo "0000:24:00.0" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/nouveau/unbind

3/ lspci -k
24:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] (rev a1)

Reactions: Padi100 and saenns
Hi,

A solution without reboot.

1/ Check using driver with lspci -k
Kernel driver in use: nouveau

2/You can unbind driver.
# echo "0000:24:00.0" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/nouveau/unbind

3/ lspci -k
Thank you, this was extremely helpful.

Unable to find kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' RPM installed. If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.

I also had this problem, which I solved by installing pve-headers:

Code:
apt install build-essential pve-headers-$(uname -r)

which didn't work at first either, until I removed the enterprize repos from apt sources as described here
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/update-unauthorized-after-latest-update.61584/post-393404

Then ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-<VERSION>.run was failing with compilation errors, so I used apt instead as described here
https://phoenixnap.com/kb/nvidia-drivers-debian

and that seems to be working so far. now i need to passthrough to lxc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!