How to delay boot of FIRST VN

John Radley

Oct 10, 2016
I have created a dummy VM with Order=1, and Startup Delay = 60 so as to delay the start of VM2, which is set as Order = 2. (because VM2 won't start immediately Proxmox powers up, but does manually after a delay).

Is there a better way?

Is there a way of delaying the "Start all VMs and Containers" command.

I appear to have a USB based Ethernet port which is slow to initialise.

They way that I delayed the boot of my virtual machines is using another virtual Machine. What i created was a very small VM using a simple Linux distro that boots itself first before any VMs. It is then configured (in Proxmox GUI) to wait 480 seconds (8 minutes) before proceeding to the next VM. The VM itself when starting up has a script that waits for 2 minutes and then shuts itself down, unless of course I press a key while it is waiting (in-case i need to do updates or make other changes). I then have each VM afterwards setup in the correct order and with the appropriate delays from there.

I did how ever have to create this "Controller" on each node in my cluster otherwise it for some reason only worked on VMs on that node.

I am not sure if Proxmox uses the order across the cluster or just on each node. ??

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!