[TUTORIAL] How to create Windows cloudinit templates on proxmox 7.3 (PATCH INCLUDED)

ThunderVM

Jan 13, 2023
thundervm.com
Hi all,

As many of you, i was struggling to create Windows templates with Proxmox 7.3. In this thread, i will guide you step by step on how to create Windows templates on Proxmox 7.3.

Firstly, it's important to note that Proxmox 7.3 does not work well with cloudbase-init. Therefore i must thank @gecoit for his incredible work and @zhengmz for the 7.3.3 patch.

Please keep in mind the original thread was created for proxmox 7.2, and is not completely compatible with proxmox 7.3, i've uploaded to github gecoit's original files with some changes and with the version of cloudinit that i used for my servers (Windows 10/Server 12,16,19,22 english language).

Repository: https://github.com/thundervm/proxmox-windows-template
Original thread: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/h...init-for-your-windows-based-instances.103375/
  • Create VM (with intel e100 network device) and install windows
  • Add cloudinit drive
  • configure static ip (to connect later to the server, not required)
  • Update windows
  • Enable rdp (if you want users to connect remotely, don't enable it if you only want to access your server from the console)
  • Disable hibernation/standby (For windows 10 installations)
  • Clean up windows updates
  • Remove recovery partition and expand disk (For windows 10 and some windows server versions)
  • Create windows firewall rules for rdp (not required)
  • Clone machine (If something goes wrong you won't have to waste your time installing windows over and over)
  • Install virtio drivers
  • Change network device to virtio
  • Clone machine (If something goes wrong you won't have to waste your time installing windows over and over)
  • Add serial port 0 and set display to serial port 0
  • Install cloudbase init (You must install the Continous Build: https://cloudbase.it/downloads/CloudbaseInitSetup_x64.msi)
  • Launch powershell script FixUserService.ps1 as administrator
  • Upload cloudinit configuration files conf/*.conf, conf/Unattend.xml and localscripts/*.py
  • Disable cloudbase startup by launching this command as administrator: sc config cloudbase-init start= disabled
  • Launch sysprep with these commands
  • cd "C:\Program Files\Cloudbase Solutions\Cloudbase-Init\conf"
  • C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /unattend:Unattend.xml

If you need help do not hesitate to contact me or reply to this post, i'll do my best to help you

Last edited:
Hi,I follow your step,but I use created windows template create new instance,I get the error

Which means: The computer unexpectedly restarted and encountered an error. Windows installation cannot continue. To install Windows, click OK to restart your computer, and then restart the installation

also,I found your github-repo,in proxmox 7.3-3 dir,the Cloudinit.pm file line 250 have error, maybe you should replace the @dhcpmacs to $dhcpmacs

1678196050593.png

Hi,I follow your step,but I use created windows template create new instance,I get the error

Which means: The computer unexpectedly restarted and encountered an error. Windows installation cannot continue. To install Windows, click OK to restart your computer, and then restart the installation

also,I found your github-repo,in proxmox 7.3-3 dir,the Cloudinit.pm file line 250 have error, maybe you should replace the @dhcpmacs to $dhcpmacs

View attachment 47661
The dhcpmacs error happens in my configuration too but doesn't cause any issues.

As for the windows error, i believe it happens when cloudbase init isn't removed from startup and the Unattended.xml config isn't replaced.

Did you run the command "sc config cloudbase-init start= disabled"?

Me too! I really need a version for 7.4.3.

Alternatively, does anyone know how to downgrade Proxmox to 7.3.3?

Answering my own question here, it looks like the only way to go back to 7.3.3 is to reinstall all the nodes.

I'm up for it, but I can't find the installer anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can get an iso to install 7.3.3?

Thanks

Since i can't edit the original post i'll say this here, another required task is to disable the account lockout policy if the windows vm will be exposed to the internet

when i follow these steps, and start vm again, i can't. I show log and see it. How can I fix it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 09.55.43.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 09.55.43.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 48

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!