How to create a PAM user on Proxmox?

edoardomessa

Oct 14, 2022
Hi to everyone,
I have some difficulties creating a PAM user on Proxmox.
In GUI when I try to create PAM user in "Datastore" -> "Permissions" -> "Users" by the command "Add", I enter all the data (except the password because there is no field), but when I try to set the password I get the following error:
change password failed: user 'user' does not exist (500)
How can I create a working user?

PAM is the linux native authentication method, so if you really want a user authenticated by PAM ('user@pam') you need to create it like a normal linux user on linux shell. This user is local to that one machine and not known cluster-wide.

The 'Add' option in this GUI window does not create the PAM user, it does just add the (already existing) linux-user to the PVE user management.

Proxmox also brings their own authentication realm - denoted 'pve' ('user@pve'). This realm is cluster-wide and should be the default way to create additional Proxmox accounts if you dont have an external authentication method like LDAP or AD.

So I suggest you create a user with the Realm pve instead ('Proxmox VE authentication server').

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply!
My question was asked because I notice that a PVE user (ex: edoardomessa@pve) does not have permissions to open a shell, and i would not always use user root to open shells....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!