how to change the serial number of a raw harddisk image

tincboy

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2010
Hi
I've converted a vmware image to a raw image , but it seems that the hard disk serial number has changed,
Is there any way that I could change the serial number of a raw image hard disk.
regards

Any sugesstion? I know it's possible for a new raw disk but what about changing the serial number of existing raw disk?

I don't think a raw image even has a serial number. The ID vmware images have is used by the hypervisor, not the VMs.

I don't think a raw image even has a serial number. The ID vmware images have is used by the hypervisor, not the VMs.
Thanks, I've a software which it's license depend on HDD's seriall, This software is working fine in VMWare but using the same vmdk file which is converted to raw make that software unlicensed,
Any suggestion on fixing this issue?

use the vmdk file on Proxmox VE.

Try running the vmdk image in that case. Or pass the S/N to qemu directly in the config file. The syntax is something like -drive serial=XXX file=filename.raw

I'm running one machine with a vmdk image directly taken from vmware - had no time to convert it during migration :)

I'm running one machine with a vmdk image directly taken from vmware - had no time to convert it during migration :)
How can I insert the serial number to config file of a VM? the line which contains hdd information currently is "ide0: local:1138/vm-1138-disk-1.raw
"
Also you did just replaced the vmwarefile.vmdk instead of proxmoxfile.raw in that line and it works? Which version of Proxmox you are using?

just put the file next to the RAW one, then from the web-ui select it and assign to an ide/scsi channel.

Hello. I have software attached to the hard disk. I need help, how to change: serial number, model and firmware version. If raw files don't have it inside and it depends on hypervisor, which file do i need to point out these parametres.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!