How to change the port of the HTTP daemon started by ACME?

iguana007

Feb 7, 2023
Hello,
I want to ask you how to change the port of the HTTP daemon, which is started when the certificates order is triggered.
I would prefer 8080 for example or whatever else.
I am getting "Failed to initialize HTTP daemon" error at the end of the task because my 80 port is being used by HAProxy running on the same node.
Thank you.

Hi,

that is (unfortunately) not possible, Let's Encrypt requires using port 80.
Have you tried using the DNS01-challenge? As that does not require running a HTTP server or the like.

I tried this via CloudFlare, I did the setup + transferred my primary domain DNS there, but it does not work for my clients domains (I host multiple websites on my server) as they do not have DNS in ClodFlare - it adds acme challenge TXT record under my primary domain DNS and ends with validation error.

To make it work - I guess, that I would have to transfer all clients domains DNSs into CloudFlare and create separate site entries there to use different API keys for each of the domains + setup separate challenge plugins in proxmox ACME for each of the domain, so that it would use proper API access to respective domain while adding a TXT record, right?

This seems about right. Seems like bit of a PITA, but DNS-challenge is generally preferred if available (since it also supports e.g. wildcard certificates).

I cannot comment on the Cloudflare-specific details (having never worked with that), but if the API keys are bound to domains (which at least sounds like it), then you have to use separate keys/challenge plugin entries for each domain, yes.

Reactions: iguana007

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!