How to backup Proxmox host/containers with RClone

me.mr

Dec 18, 2023
Hi everyone, I installed proxmox, and now I'm looking for a way to do cloud backups using rclone. What would be the best method to do this? I tried setting up PBS as a vm, and mounting rclone remote but that wouldn't work.

I appreciate any help!

Hello !

The best method really depends on your setup.
A possibility would be to run a VM with rclone.
Can you describe your setup a bit, what would you like to backup with rclone, do you have any vms, ...

Hi !

I appreciate your support.
We are trying to use cubbit DS3 bucket service (cubbit.io), this provider offer many connection integration protocol like for example "rclone".
Could be a great integration with PBS!

I'm very interested in understanding how to integrate your PVE or PBS with remote storage via rclone...
is there procedure?

thanks
robert

is there procedure?
In general pbs does not offer file level backups, nor direct RClone integration, but VM backups and LXC Container Backups, therefore i'd run RClone in a VM on PVE, where the backups of the cubbit DS3 bucket are stored and then backup the VM to PBS

Reactions: Bob67
In general pbs does not offer file level backups, nor direct RClone integration, but VM backups and LXC Container Backups, therefore i'd run RClone in a VM on PVE, where the backups of the cubbit DS3 bucket are stored and then backup the VM to PBS
HI,
I'm sorry, probably my english is not very clear.
our goal is to use the cubbit service (S3 compatible or via rclone) as remote storage for backing up PVE VMs, whether this happens via PBS or not.
If you have any suggestions, we will be very grateful.

best regards
Robert

Well in this case you can just create Backups in PVE and then send them to your cubit service. I don't have any experience with cubbit, therefore check their documentation on how to get the Backups in there please.
Also be aware that if they do not integrate properly into PVE you will always create a new full backup instead of delta backups, which would be the case if you'd use pbs

Reactions: Bob67

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!