[SOLVED] How set an ID VLAN to the own Proxmox server + how set an ID VLAN to a virtual machine?

solidnoctis

Oct 6, 2020
Hello.

I can't find the way to set to the own server (Proxmox) an ID VLAN (it's connected to a firewall and it only works with our server only setting an ID VLAN to it), I can't see it clearly if I can do it even in the shell. I searched it but I'm still lost. How works this?

Sorry if I'm asking something "easy" to do it.

Thanks.

Regards.

if you go to your:

your Router/Switch have to support VLAN Tagging too! On some Switch it is called trunking

Node
- System
-- Network
you select you vmbr(0)
there you have to tic VLAN aware

on the VM
- Hardware
-- Network device (edit)
you have to add your VLAN Tag (your VLAN ID)
-- Network device (edit)
check to use the same Bridge id the you configured below

have a nice day
vinc

I tried to make it work to do the same settings as in Vmware esxi, but I can't make it work. PfSense doesn't allow the server works. <maybe I have to use the vswitch/OVS?

PD: Thanks for your answer vikozo.

opnSense works with the VLAN's! But in my case nothing to do with pvs Unifi - Cisco Switch - opnsense. on my Unifi AP all ssid have there own VLAN and opnSense give the correct dhcp ip address to each of theme. but yes nothing to do with pvs. important is the Switch have to be on trunking mode and all the VLAN used have to be defined on the switch too. (Cisco Switch will need it like this)

Reactions: solidnoctis
Yeah, the Switch's on trunking mode and al the VLAN are defined on the switch. Works on VMware Esxi, not with Proxmox (probably there's something that I don't know how adjust it).

Mmmh...the own server works on the VLAN ID: 1, I think I'm not getting this.

Are you trying to put the Proxmox Host itself into a VLAN?

You could configure the port on the network switch to active or untagged (depending on which switch vendor you are using) or you could create a vlan interface on the proxmox host (you would need to install additional packages)

on the node
system - network
your vmbr
did you tag [x] VLAN aware?

Yeah, but it didn't work. If it's out of the VLAN it works, but I need to use the ID 1 VLAN on the server to make work the PfSense.

Are you trying to put the Proxmox Host itself into a VLAN?

You could configure the port on the network switch to active or untagged (depending on which switch vendor you are using) or you could create a vlan interface on the proxmox host (you would need to install additional packages)

Exactly.

Create a VLAN interface on Proxmox? That's the SDN? I tried to make it work too but nothing. I barely understand how works in fact.

Last edited:
This works in my environment, the management interface is on VLAN20

mgmt_vlan.JPG

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp9s0f0 inet manual

iface enp5s0f0 inet manual

iface enp9s0f1 inet manual

iface enp5s0f1 inet manual

iface enp4s0f0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f1 inet manual

auto enp9s0f1.20
iface enp9s0f1.20 inet manual
#interface on VLAN 20

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp9s0f0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
        address 172.22.20.20/24
        gateway 172.22.20.254
        bridge-ports enp9s0f1.20
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094
#Management bridge on VLAN

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!