How do you get email notification to actually work?

bwestrup777

Mar 28, 2012
I've seen a lot of discussion in the forums regarding getting email notifications setup, however, none actually have any meat... So: What are the steps to get Proxmox to send an email notification? (Yes, I filled in my email address in the email field when I setup my backup and no, it doesn't work.)

Thanks!

The most common problems I see are:
1) No reverse DNS on the IP the server is using.
2) Invalid hostname (proxmox.localdomain) Add "myhostname = proxmox.mydomain.com" to /etc/mail/main.cf
3) No valid DNS setup for proxmox hostname (proxmox.mydomain.com A 1.2.3.4)

Thanks, but what I was actually looking for is an example of how to make this work. Just a minimal config to get email off of the server and out to somewhere useful.

Well, what you are locking for is the default configuration in /etc/postfix/main.cf

Also, you can try the following to configure postfix:

# dpkg-reconfigure postfix

Re: How do you get email notification to actually work? [SOLVED]

I've seen a lot of discussion in the forums regarding getting email notifications setup, however, none actually have any meat... So: What are the steps to get Proxmox to send an email notification? (Yes, I filled in my email address in the email field when I setup my backup and no, it doesn't work.)

Thanks!

Got it working! After a rebooting the server, email notifications from the server started arriving in my inbox. This did not require any configuring of Postfix, just a reboot.

Re: How do you get email notification to actually work? [SOLVED]

Sorry to bump this thread ... but is there something else to get email notifications? I have run dpkg-reconfigure, I can send mail direct from cli (on all 3 nodes), but not receiving any messages from the nodes in the cluster. Also, I am "assuming" that email notifications come from the cluster when / if a HA takeover is in progress? I also have fencing setup and HA works great. This is the last piece to my full Proxmox setup! I do plan on purchasing support / donating, just fyi.

Thank you so much!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!