How can I shrink "local" and increase the size of "local-lvm"?

maeries

Jul 10, 2015
My server runs on a 240GB SSD. The local-lvm is nearly full (~90%) while "local" is nearly empty. Is it possible to shrink the local storage and then expand local-lvm?

The "local" is a directory and the ''local-lvm' is a lvm-thin pool by default. The path of the "local" is actually on a lvm volume called pve-root,while the "local-lvm" is on another lvm volume called pve-data. Pve-root and pve-data are on the same volume group called pve. So you have to reduce pve-root first in order to increase pve-data if there's no extra spaces on lvm group pve and SSD. But I don't think it's a good idea because shrinking lvm volume could cause data loss. But if there's extra space left on SSD, you can increase vg pve first, then you can increase lv pve-data. I'm just a user , not a professional.

Reactions: maeries

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!