How can I make all disks in my rpool bootable?

Aug 17, 2020
Currently my `rpool` consists of 1x SATA SSD, and 2x NVMe SSDs. I'd like to remove the SATA disk but neither of the NVMe disks are bootable, either when changing settings in the BIOS of my ASRock X470D4U, or when manually selecting the NVMe disks from the F11 boot menu.

Neither of the NVMe disks have a `BIOS boot` or `EFI` partition as the SATA disk shows in the "Disks" menu in the Proxmox GUI (or when running `lsblk`). I've tried the following procedure-

Code:
1. Put in new disk
2. sgdisk /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG -R /dev/disk/by-id/nvme1n1
3. sgdisk -G /dev/disk/by-id/nvme1n1

Which creates or copies the partitions from the SATA disk but when I run the following command-

Code:
4. zpool attach rpool /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG /dev/disk/by-id/nvme1n1

The partitions disappear and I end up with just `nvme1n1p` and `nvme1n1p9` on the new disk. So I am unable to follow the steps below.

Code:
5. pve-efiboot-tool format /dev/sdX2 (sdX being the new drive)
6. pve-efiboot-tool init /dev/sdX2 (sdX being the new drive)
7. pve-efiboot-tool refresh

How can I make my NVMe disks bootable please?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!