hostname as part of sender address for PMG messages

LostInTranslation

Apr 3, 2022
Hello,

first I'd like to excuse myself: I did see discussions about this issue here also, but I can't find them any more and the issue is still not solved for me.

I'm struggling with messages sent by the PMG itself. Sender in my case is postmaster@myhostname.my-domain.com. Problem is, that my mail server is rejecting these mails:

2024-03-19T06:40:00.501094+01:00 tgspmg postfix/smtp[2909444]: 3CD0D2F7DA: to=<jhe@my-domain.com>, relay=10.32.1.10[10.32.1.10]:25, delay=63450, delays=63450/0.08/0.17/0.06, dsn=4.1.8, status=deferred (host 10.32.1.10[10.32.1.10] said: 450 4.1.8 <postmaster@myhostname.my-domain.com>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found (in reply to RCPT TO command))

myhostname and my-domain.com were changed due to anonymization.

The problem is: the mail server would accept mails from postmaster@my-domain.com, but does not know anything about a mail domain myhostname.my-domain.com.

I did already check, if setting "Administrator EMail" (Configuration: System) helps, but it does not.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot!
Jens

Sender address rejected: Domain not found (in reply to RCPT TO command))

This is most likely due to a missing reverse (or forward) DNS entry for myhostname.my-domain.com pointing to your PMG's IP address - in your internal DNS
Either add those entries, or add your PMG's IP-Address to the trusted relays of your downstream server (10.31.1.10)

I hope this helps!

else to see how the hostname of PMG is constructed see:
https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#_configuration_files_overview

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!