Hosting Pfsense and Unifi Controller

Raedm

Feb 16, 2024
Greeting All,

I know this is little crazy. but the story is that i had my Netgate SG-1100 as pfsense firewall appliance. now that device got issue with the emmc. So I decided to host my pfsense on my Proxmox server. the infrastracture as below:

1. Proxmox Dell PowerEdge R730
2. Pfsense as VM which is the brain of the networks in terms of FW and Vlans, HA proxy, pfblocker, ... etc.
3. Unifi Controller as VM ubuntu server
4. ubiquiti devices switch and AP connected to the Proxmox server on the trunk port.

what I have doen so far successfully. pfsense up and running with wan interface showing ISP IP address. and i have other interface that has multiple Vlans 4, 50, and 40.

I have successfully assign the right Vlans to the right vm which approved no issues in Vlans configurations.

the issue. with my Unifi controller where i have assigned vlan tag 4 to that VM as the ubiquiti switch and the AP on that Vlan. i can successfully loginto the controller but all devices shows offline. for no reasn. when i Plug the AP to the switch which is connected to proxmox on the trunk port the wifi works for 2 min then switch off. and on the other hand the switch working fine and routing traffic with no issues.

I know it is very complex setup but I really appreciate some advices and help on this.

Thank you.

Reactions: Alexiy2
I'm having an extremely similar issue. I have a separate server running bare metal opnsense and have my unifi controller as a container on my proxmox server. I ran into the same issues where the wifi is cutting off after a minute or so and doesn't come back. I've been pulling my hair out on this the past few days.
Have you tried downgrading your AP? There was a new release a week or two ago
Edit: This is incorrect, mixed up when my AP actually updated vs when the update was released

Last edited:
Greeting All,

I know this is little crazy. but the story is that i had my Netgate SG-1100 as pfsense firewall appliance. now that device got issue with the emmc. So I decided to host my pfsense on my Proxmox server. the infrastracture as below:

1. Proxmox Dell PowerEdge R730
2. Pfsense as VM which is the brain of the networks in terms of FW and Vlans, HA proxy, pfblocker, ... etc.
3. Unifi Controller as VM ubuntu server
4. ubiquiti devices switch and AP connected to the Proxmox server on the trunk port.

what I have doen so far successfully. pfsense up and running with wan interface showing ISP IP address. and i have other interface that has multiple Vlans 4, 50, and 40.

I have successfully assign the right Vlans to the right vm which approved no issues in Vlans configurations.

the issue. with my Unifi controller where i have assigned vlan tag 4 to that VM as the ubiquiti switch and the AP on that Vlan. i can successfully loginto the controller but all devices shows offline. for no reasn. when i Plug the AP to the switch which is connected to proxmox on the trunk port the wifi works for 2 min then switch off. and on the other hand the switch working fine and routing traffic with no issues.

I know it is very complex setup but I really appreciate some advices and help on this.

Thank you.
Finally resolved my issues. I had a few misconfiguration that were hard to diagnose, so I'm not sure which one (or all) exactally caused my issues, which makes it difficult to help.

Have you looked at this? https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/9592924981911-UniFi-Virtual-Network-VLAN-Troubleshooting
Specifically, unifi devices are really picky about the native tag on the port that the unifi controller vm is connected to.

What worked for me was giving the controller VM two networking devices, one configured to vlan1, the other configured to my management vlan (in your case vlan 4). I did not change the native vlan on the switch port used for my proxmox trunk

Thank you J
Finally resolved my issues. I had a few misconfiguration that were hard to diagnose, so I'm not sure which one (or all) exactally caused my issues, which makes it difficult to help.

Have you looked at this? https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/9592924981911-UniFi-Virtual-Network-VLAN-Troubleshooting
Specifically, unifi devices are really picky about the native tag on the port that the unifi controller vm is connected to.

What worked for me was giving the controller VM two networking devices, one configured to vlan1, the other configured to my management vlan (in your case vlan 4). I did not change the native vlan on the switch port used for my proxmox trunk
thank you for your replay. Actually I figured it out, as you mentioned The unifi controller doesn’t like tagged Vlans. So what i did I created a new interface and assigned it to that Nic with no Vlan and it worked perfectly.
Thnx again

Thank you J

thank you for your replay. Actually I figured it out, as you mentioned The unifi controller doesn’t like tagged Vlans. So what i did I created a new interface and assigned it to that Nic with no Vlan and it worked perfectly.
Thnx again
Awesome, glad you got it figured out!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!