[SOLVED] Host network not starting (PVE 6.2-11, udevadm settle)

Mar 1, 2018
Hi,

since today, one of the servers in my cluster hangs on boot for two minutes while starting the units ifupdown2-pre and systemd-udev-settle.

Once, the system is booted, I have no networking available - I can start it using systemctl start networking.
If I mask ifupdown2-pre, networking works after the boot, but this is not a solution.

Since both, ifupdown2-pre and systemd-udev-settle are waiting for the same (udevadm settle), I think that at least one device is not initializing fast enough - and therefore indicating a problem. Unfortunately I can not find anything in the system log or dmesg which points to a device causing this issue.

I already switched on debug logging in udev.conf before booting, but it did not help me finding the device causing udev not to settle.

The underlying server is a Dell machine - I did a system self test and found no problem, there.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Markus

Hi,

what where the recent changes on that server? As you imply it worked just fine until today.
Did you booted a new kernel version, if so which one and does booting an older one fixes this behaviour?

Anything in dmesg (kernel log) during bootup, errors or other things related to network?

I wanted to upgrade another host in the cluster. Therefore I did a live migration of a bunch of VMs to the server having the problem, now. Obviously too many of them. During this migration the server's memory went low, it had a kernel panic (Bad RIP value), rebooted and since then, there is the problem.

The kernel version did not change. Later, I tried an older one - and even the most recent one - the same in all cases.

No errors in dmesg. Only an offset of about 120 sec between these two entries:
Code:
[   13.445257] ZFS: Loaded module v0.8.4-pve1, ZFS pool version 5000, ZFS filesystem version 5
[  132.022459] alua: device handler registered

During this migration the server's memory went low, it had a kernel panic (Bad RIP value), rebooted and since then, there is the problem.

So, a memory low should in general result in an Out-Of-Memory (OOM) situation where the OOM killer then reaps a process hogging lots of memory. A kernel panic with "Bad RIP values" is a bit weird for such a scenario.
It could point to a HW related issue, maybe failing memory. But I hardly see a connection between that issue and a failing udevadm settle on the next boots...

If really nothing changed in the software environment, I'd start witch checking HW for now - maybe run a longer memtest.

You could also try to edit the kernel boot comandline and add loglevel=7 to enable debug level logging.

In the meantime I have been able to narrow the issue down to multipathd.

If I disable the unit multipathd, the system boots without any delay in udevadm settle.

The Server has two FC HBAs directly connected to the two controllers of a Dell MD38xxf. There are two LUNs on the storage array managed through multipathd. One of them comes up as on the other node, the other one fails. /etc/multipath.conf is identical on both servers (see below).

If I compare the output of "multipath -tt -v3" on both servers, the most obvious difference is that for some reason the failing server tries to use alua to determine the prio - just for the failing LUN.

Failing node:
Code:
Sep 23 15:35:04 | sde: detect_prio = yes (setting: multipath.conf defaults/devices section)
Sep 23 15:35:04 | sde: prio = alua (setting: storage device autodetected)

Intact node:
Code:
Sep 23 15:34:44 | sde: detect_prio = yes (setting: multipath.conf defaults/devices section)
Sep 23 15:34:44 | sde: prio = rdac (setting: storage device configuration)

My multipath.conf looks like this:
Code:
defaults {
    verbosity 2
    polling_interval 5
    max_polling_interval 20
    reassign_maps "no"
    multipath_dir "//lib/multipath"
    path_selector "service-time 0"
    path_grouping_policy "failover"
    uid_attribute "ID_SERIAL"
    prio "const"
    prio_args ""
    features "0"
    path_checker "tur"
    alias_prefix "mpath"
    failback "manual"
    rr_min_io 1000
    rr_min_io_rq 1
    max_fds "max"
    rr_weight "uniform"
    queue_without_daemon "no"
    flush_on_last_del "no"
    user_friendly_names "no"
    fast_io_fail_tmo 5
    bindings_file "/etc/multipath/bindings"
    wwids_file "/etc/multipath/wwids"
    prkeys_file "/etc/multipath/prkeys"
    log_checker_err always
    all_tg_pt "no"
    retain_attached_hw_handler "yes"
    detect_prio "yes"
    detect_checker "yes"
    force_sync "no"
    strict_timing "no"
    deferred_remove "no"
    config_dir "/etc/multipath/conf.d"
    delay_watch_checks "no"
    delay_wait_checks "no"
    marginal_path_err_sample_time "no"
    marginal_path_err_rate_threshold "no"
    marginal_path_err_recheck_gap_time "no"
    marginal_path_double_failed_time "no"
    find_multipaths "strict"
    uxsock_timeout 4000
    retrigger_tries 0
    retrigger_delay 10
    missing_uev_wait_timeout 30
    skip_kpartx "no"
    disable_changed_wwids "yes"
    remove_retries 0
    ghost_delay "no"
    find_multipaths_timeout -10
}
blacklist {
    wwid .*
}

blacklist_exceptions {
    wwid "3600a098000585058000007485f062ad7"
    wwid "3600a09800057790e0000086c5f062606"
}

devices {
    device {
        vendor "DELL"
        product "^MD3"
        product_blacklist "Universal Xport"
        path_grouping_policy "group_by_prio"
        path_checker "rdac"
        path_selector "round-robin 0"
        features "2 pg_init_retries 50"
        hardware_handler "1 rdac"
        prio "rdac"
        failback "immediate"
        no_path_retry 30
    }
}
overrides {
}
multipaths {
    multipath {
        wwid "3600a098000585058000007485f062ad7"
        alias "san-ssd"
    }
    multipath {
        wwid "3600a09800057790e0000086c5f062606"
        alias "san-hdd"
    }
}

Any ideas why multipath is acting differently on both nodes?

Forget about my last post. I had to run update-initrd and now multipath is running just fine.

The news:
I left the cluster with my problematic node.
Then I reinstalled PVE on the node (yes, I am so desperate :), updated everything and re-applied local configuration.
System boot still worked quickly.

Then I installed multipath-tools and configured it. After figuring our that I need tu update the initrd, multipathd works as expected.

But: The boot hangs like it was before the reinstallation / after the last system update.

In journalctl I see:

Code:
Sep 24 13:42:02 gvc02n01 systemd-udevd[743]: Spawned process '/bin/systemd-run /sbin/lvm pvscan --cache 8:65' [940] is taking longer than 59s to complete
Sep 24 13:42:02 gvc02n01 systemd-udevd[759]: Spawned process '/bin/systemd-run /sbin/lvm pvscan --cache 8:33' [941] is taking longer than 59s to complete
Sep 24 13:42:02 gvc02n01 systemd-udevd[730]: Spawned process '/bin/systemd-run /sbin/lvm pvscan --cache 8:49' [939] is taking longer than 59s to complete
Sep 24 13:42:02 gvc02n01 systemd-udevd[763]: Spawned process '/bin/systemd-run /sbin/lvm pvscan --cache 8:17' [942] is taking longer than 59s to complete
Sep 24 13:42:02 gvc02n01 systemd-udevd[718]: sdd1: Worker [730] processing SEQNUM=4080 is taking a long time
Sep 24 13:42:02 gvc02n01 systemd-udevd[718]: sde1: Worker [743] processing SEQNUM=4087 is taking a long time
Sep 24 13:42:02 gvc02n01 systemd-udevd[718]: sdc1: Worker [759] processing SEQNUM=4060 is taking a long time
Sep 24 13:42:02 gvc02n01 systemd-udevd[718]: sdb1: Worker [763] processing SEQNUM=4053 is taking a long time
Sep 24 13:43:01 gvc02n01 systemd[1]: systemd-udev-settle.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Sep 24 13:43:01 gvc02n01 systemd[1]: systemd-udev-settle.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

sdd1, sde1, sdc1 and sdb1 are the four partitions behind my two multipaths.

If I disable the unit multipathd.service, the system boots quickly without the wait time.

Ideas?

Thanks for this hint, RokaKen!

Since I have been able to narrow down my problem to multipath-tools, I downgraded from 0.7.9-3+deb10u1 to 0.7.9-3 which solves my boot problem. I will try to find out which change in this release could have caused my issue.

The single change between those versions seems to be:
kpartx: use correct path to partx in udev rule (Closes: #959727)
-- https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/m/multipath-tools/changelog-0.7.9-3deb10u1
The bug report which was closed by this change: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=959727

And the patch: https://salsa.debian.org/linux-bloc...mmit/775fe682dabb69e7a51d6fb84f3d172f29054ad0

This means that probably previously the partx call failed as the wrong path was used, now since that newer multipath-tools version partx is called correctly, and hangs at that stage.

IMO: The real fix for your issue is as @RokaKen recommended: disable the systemd-udev-settle.service

Thanks, @t.lamprecht and @RokaKen. I finally deacitvated/masked systemd-udev-settle.service and my systems are running smoothly, again.

As soon as I find the time, I will investigate the origin of the kpartx hangs my system seems to experience since kpartx knows the correct path of partx.

Marking this as solved, now.

I can confirm that this issue is still present in a fresh 7.0-13 installation with multipath and 2 fc hbas connected to the two controllers of a Dell MD3620f without a switch. Masking the systemd-udev-settle.service also fixed the issue here.

Alex

7.2-8, network sill not starting. But masking the systemd-udev-settle.service did not fix the issue!
after 'systemctl restart networking' i have an ip.
what else could i do?

Edit: Solved: i missed there is an 2 in ifupdown2-pre.service. i only disabled ifupdown-pre.service

Last edited:
Reactions: abrakadabra

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!