Host Ceph Dashboard on different network to Monitor

atjb

Dec 21, 2022
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if my google-fu was not strong enough to find a previous answer.

I have two networks in my cluster, physically separated:

192.168.0.0/24 - PVE and client network - 24port switch
192.168.200.0/24 - CEPH communication - 8 port switch

I wish to host the CEPH monitoring dashboard. The default location for this was 192.168.200.42 - but this is not useful to me, because none of my clients have access to this, as it is physically seperated and reserved for CEPH communication.

I attempted to use `ceph mgr services` to set the dashboard to the .0 network, and now receive the following error:

Code:
Module 'dashboard' has failed: OSError("No socket could be created -- (('192.168.0.42', 8443): [Errno 99] Cannot assign requested address)")

Some dumps that may be useful:

Code:
root@i3-nuc:~# ceph config dump
WHO    MASK  LEVEL     OPTION                                 VALUE         RO
  mon        advanced  auth_allow_insecure_global_id_reclaim  false
  mgr        advanced  mgr/dashboard/i3-nuc/server_addr       192.168.0.42  *
  mgr        advanced  mgr/dashboard/server_addr              192.168.0.42  *

Code:
root@i3-nuc:~# ceph mgr services | grep dashboard
    "dashboard": "https://192.168.0.42:8443/"

One way around this would to return the dashboard to the .200 network and provide access and routing to the CEPH switch - either through my router or switch. However, this feels like the wrong way about it.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Hi atjb, I hope my short documentation might be of help. I think the fourth line – ceph config-key set – might do it :)

Code:
apt install ceph-mgr-dashboard
ceph mgr module enable dashboard
ceph dashboard ac-user-create cephdash [password] administrator
ceph config-key set mgr/dashboard/server_addr ::
ceph dashboard create-self-signed-cert
ceph mgr module disable dashboard
ceph mgr module enable dashboard
systemctl restart ceph-mgr@[servername].service

Thank you! I previously had this running by routing between the networks.

I've currently got everything torn down and am re-building, but the physical layout will be the same when it goes back up and it would be nice to have the CEPH network completely isolated and not have the router tapping in just for this dashboard.

I'll add your documentation to my notes and look forward to trying it out :)

Reactions: herzkerl

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!