HomeNAS / New Install, Promox + Datas

tbardin

Nov 2, 2009
Hello everyone,

I plan to migrate my proxmox install to some new hdds. Today I have :

• 1 hdd for proxmox and 2 virtual machines (1 firewall; 1 ubuntu file server)
  • 3 hdds (non RAID) for datas, directly linked to one VM (via the 10x.conf file with a qm set -ideX /dev/sdX...)
Since all my old hdds are totally full, I bought a SATA RAID controller (Highpoint 2640x4) and 3x1.5TB hdds (no money anymore in my pocket).

What I plan to do is :

1. Proxmox and my two VMs (OS only) on a RAID 1 (160 GB + 160 GB) array managed by my motherboard
  2. Datas on a RAID 5 (3x1.5TB) array

I wan't my datas to be available only for one VM (a ubuntu file server).

I don't think the first step should be a problem, but I have some doubt about the second step :

Should I use LVM ? How could I mount the LVM space created on the ubuntu file server ?
I don't understand in proxmox web console, when I add a LVM group I only have the choice to store "Virtual Disks". Do LVM are only dedicated to virtual Machines?

Please help me understand it.

Thank you

Hello everyone,

I plan to migrate my proxmox install to some new hdds. Today I have :

• 1 hdd for proxmox and 2 virtual machines (1 firewall; 1 ubuntu file server)
  • 3 hdds (non RAID) for datas, directly linked to one VM (via the 10x.conf file with a qm set -ideX /dev/sdX...)
Since all my old hdds are totally full, I bought a SATA RAID controller (Highpoint 2640x4) and 3x1.5TB hdds (no money anymore in my pocket).

What I plan to do is :

1. Proxmox and my two VMs (OS only) on a RAID 1 (160 GB + 160 GB) array managed by my motherboard
  2. Datas on a RAID 5 (3x1.5TB) array

I wan't my datas to be available only for one VM (a ubuntu file server).

I don't think the first step should be a problem, but I have some doubt about the second step :

Should I use LVM ? How could I mount the LVM space created on the ubuntu file server ?
I don't understand in proxmox web console, when I add a LVM group I only have the choice to store "Virtual Disks". Do LVM are only dedicated to virtual Machines?

Please help me understand it.

Thank you
Hi,
i think the first step should be a problem - because the motherboards normaly supports only fake-raids (softwareraids). PVE supports only hardwareraids (you find a lot posts in this forum about that).

The second step: If you want the storage map directly to one guest, you should do it like before. Inside the guest, you can use lvm - so you don't have troubel if you add later more space to this vm...
Lvm on the storage (at the host) make only sense if you share the space to different VMs.

Udo

Thank you Udo,

What I don't understand is why when I add a LVM group I only have the choice to store "Virtual Disks" ?

Regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!