HomeAssistant: Booting 'Slot A (OK=1 TRY=1)'

Code-TT

Mar 14, 2023
Hello, I set up Home Assistant on my Intel Nuc (with Intel HD Graphics 620) following these instructions. I am using Frigate for the cameras and need the hardware acceleration for this.
As soon as I add the graphics card as PCI device under Hardware (Passthrough), it works with the hardware acceleration for Frigate, but I only get Booting 'Slot A (OK=1 TRY=1)' displayed in the console, and no more. All output from HAOS is missing and no input prompt comes up either. The HA web interface starts normally, as it should. It seems irrelevant whether I set it to i440fx or q35. I don't want to have to choose between shell and hardware acceleration.

It is not clear to me right now what the problem could be. A bug in haos? Or a setting thing for proxmox?
Does anyone have an idea?

Code:
#/boot/grub/grub.cfg

# so war es zuerst
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt"

# so ist es jetzt, brachte keine Veränderung
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt nofb nomodeset textonly video=vesafb:off initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init"

Code:
#/etc/modules

vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd
simplefb

Code:
# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/103.conf

## Home Assistant OS
#### https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox
#[![ko-fi](https://ko-fi.com/img/githubbutton_sm.svg)](https://ko-fi.com/D1D7EP4GF)
agent: 1
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0
cores: 4
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-103-disk-0,size=4M
hostpci0: 0000:00:02
localtime: 1
machine: q35
memory: 10240
meta: creation-qemu=7.2.0,ctime=1678816266
name: haos9.5
net0: virtio=02:9F:23:DF:C4:9D,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-103-disk-1,discard=on,size=100G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=88b7c647-3ef9-4f09-8743-cd7fdd2f1e78
sockets: 1
tablet: 0
usb0: host=1-4
vga: virtio
vmgenid: 4cb87599-2af3-493d-8d3e-bcc787b5b6b0

Attachments

• Proxmox4.png
    Proxmox4.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Proxmox2.png
    Proxmox2.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Proxmox3.png
    Proxmox3.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 16
Exactly the same situation. This behavior after the upgrade. This did not happen on 7.3-1.

Last edited:
I've tried the downgrade method and still get stuck in the same bootloop. Any other solutions that have worked for anybody?

EDIT: Found the solution for me on the HA forums
Had a simular problem (the same sympthoms) after upgrading to proxmox 7.3 . Non of the VM-s started, they were stuck in a loop. Tried creating a new VM for HA with the same result.
I managet to solve the problem by setting the processor type of the virtual machines from the default to HOST. (Hardware>Processors - edit and set type to HOST the default i think was KVM or QEMU).
After setting all of my VM-s to this processor type all started again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anejey
Hey,

I'm also getting this issue as of today after running for awhile with no issues. I've not changed anything I control, so I think perhaps either a Proxmox update or a Home Assistant update might have caused the issue for me, perhaps? Not 100%

My setup has always been on Proxmox 8 since day 0.

Hardware:
Device: Intel NUC 11
CPU: Intel Core i7-1165G7
RAM: 32 GB
Storage: 1TB Kingston PCIe SSD

VM Hardware:
1688117397802.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m very much a beginner with Proxmox, I know enough to get myself running but that’s about it. So please add additional details if you can around things I could look at doing.

Many Thanks.

Small update, after rebooting the entire system I am still stuck on the screen 'Slot A (OK=1 TRY=1)'. But I am now able to access Home Assistant via its web interface.

Feels like something is wrong with that?

My issue was the PCI device “TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]”. I booted the VM without this device and all is back to normal. Perhaps I added it incorrectly?

I was desperately trying to get my Home Assistant running after a power outage. None of the backups worked.
Your solution rescued me. Thanks a lot!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!