Oct 4, 2022
Hi, this is my present situation.
I would like to increase the root partition and shrink the local-lvm one

Can I do this somehow?

Many thanks for your time

Schermata 2023-03-14 alle 12.34.28.png

Schermata 2023-03-14 alle 12.34.44.png

Last edited:
It is generally not possible to shrink the size of LVM-Thin pools. What you could do instead is create a new volume in the LVM-thin pool, format it with a filesystem, and mount it somewhere on your root filesystem where you need space.

I'm sorry to add on to this but how would i do that?
my local storage is full because i have my media files on there under /mnt/media
but it's nearly full and I have 500+ gb on my local-lvm (I was probably being stupid while installing)

Hello,

Was there a solution as to how to accomplish this task? I am trying to repurpose the unused space in my LVM-thin pool for local storage. I have almost 4 TB of unused space from the past few years that I would like to use for backups. As my server is remote, I would like to perform this in the most efficient manner without having to reload my server. Thank you!

You need to create a new thin volume on that thin pool using the lvcreate command. Then create the filesystem of your choice on that LV (mkfs command), mount it by adding an entry to the fstab.
Then you can use the webUI to create a new directory storage pointing to the mountpoint of that mounted filesystem.
And don't forget to run pvesm set <StorageID> --is_mountpoint yes afterwards.

You can google for stuff like "how to create a LVM thin volume", "how mount a filesystem using fstab" for some examples. Its the same you would do with any other Linux like a Debian or Ubuntu.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!