Highest performance ever done in ProxMox

impire

Jun 10, 2010
Greetings,

We've installed the latest ProxMox 1.5 (May 2010).

I am trying to find out the maximum SMP / Multi-Processors any one has successfully configured and deployed under the following VMs:

Centos 5.5
FreeBSD
Windows 2008 R2

One of our servers is Dell 6950 w/ 4 x Quadcore (4 sockets x 4 processors = 16 virtual cores). This is a the server I am testing with Centos 5.5 running on full configuration of 16 cores. The CPU utilization keep going back and forth between 6%-18%, even in idle mode.

I also tested the firewall software PFSense, which utilize FreeBSD as the OS. I configured it for SMP. It also took the configuration. CPU utilization same as Centos at idle. I read in the forum of time drifting issue, but don't see this as an issue in this test.

Windows 2008 R2 also accepted the configuration. No time drift issue.

In summary, I have not put ProxMox into production mode with such configuration. I would love to hear about your configurations.

What's the highest processors configuration you have done in either test or live production mode? How are they performing? Any issues with CPU utilization and/or time drift?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!