High RAM Usage?

Dowd

Jun 30, 2021
I am sure there is a thread about this, but I am not sure where to look. I think its ZFS related, but I don't understand the reason. I currently have a proxmox server with:

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
192GB RAM
2 x 4TB NVME,

On it, I have 3 VMs

1 x Windows VM, allocated 8 cores, 16GB RAM
2 x Debian VM, allocated 4 cores, 8GB RAM

The total RAM across all VMs is 32GB. I am aware that ZFS seems to use double that, so I expect 64GB RAM used, however I am currently sitting at 122GB out of 187.89GB used in the VM Summary tab, which is really excessive. I am not sure if this is intentional or something I need to tune down.

I think its ZFS related, but I don't understand the reason.

The total RAM across all VMs is 32GB. I am aware that ZFS seems to use double that, so I expect 64GB RAM used, however I am currently sitting at 122GB out of 187.89GB used in the VM Summary tab, which is really excessive. I am not sure if this is intentional or something I need to tune down.
Please note that this has been asked and answered many times over on this forum, so I'm just summarize. ZFS uses 50% of your host memory, which is 96GB. This is the ZFS on Linux default, and not Proxmox specific. Please read the manual: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysadmin_zfs_limit_memory_usage

Reactions: hd--

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!