High RAM usage during download/upload

ski007

Feb 3, 2024
I have two virtual systems on my Proxmox system. debian 12.5.0 / Xpenology (DS920+) and during normal system operation it is OK... but when the system uploads or downloads something over the network: ftp / samba / transmission ram constantly increases to the limit of 100%?
Maybe it's faulty RAM? I have : RAM 32GB DDR5 4800MHz CL40 CT32G48C40S5
disk: Lexar NM620 2TB M.2
on Debian 12, even though the FTP transfer has ended, there is still information in the Proxmox menu about high RAM usage ?
45ZMhbc.png

hGR3jLx.png

at the same time in the general tab of proxmox I have the following information:

5F1dHKT.png

Last edited:
But why is the RAM usage still so high after the ftp upload option if transfers no longer occur and, for example, I also have large RAM in the Proxmox SSH terminal?
m4bM4gI.png

so such a high RAM usage result should remain constant? :) ...this is not reliable information for the user
at the same time I have this information from two systems: debian / xpenology via ssh:
debian12
LUzrh2g.png

xpenology

DaE3NDB.png

as you can see, the RAM usage in these systems is negligible, but in the Proxmox system... it's high! because after checking via ssh on proxmox, the result is still what is shown in the screenshot.
2 X 25% via kvm
Is this reliable information about RAM usage in virtual systems in the Proxmox menu? :-(

Last edited:
VM's do not return RAM back to the host unless you have balloon activated and host ram usage is high. Linux in VM or otherwise does not drop caches just because the download is finished, only when it needs those memory pages for something else. The exact usage pattern depends on what kernel the VM has and what the settings are (memory management is something kernel devs are constatly tweaking) but keeping a large cache around is normal. This is all normal.

This question is literally asked multiple times per week.

Last edited:
OK ... this indication of RAM usage for virtual systems is a bit misleading... and as you mentioned, not only for me :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!