Help with network setup

Newx

Dec 14, 2022
Hello, I'm a newbie and I'm struggling a lot to configure the network.
If anyone can help me.
The network came configured this way in the example below
I need to add 2 ips to create two VM
Follow the tutorial but nothing works I tried routed bridge mode
but it didn't work out very well.

Code:
auto it
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet static
address 000.9.90.000/27
gateway 000.9.90.000
pointpoint 000.9.90.000

iface eno1 inet6 static
address xxx:4f8:151:xxx:2/64
gateway fe80::1

iface eth0 inet manual

I tried this example here

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet static

iface eno1 inet6 static

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address xxx.9.90.xxx/27
gateway xxx.9.90.xxx
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

Can anyone help with this configuration?

Hello, I'm a newbie and I'm struggling a lot to configure the network.
If anyone can help me.
The network came configured this way in the example below
I need to add 2 ips to create two VM
Follow the tutorial but nothing works I tried routed bridge mode
but it didn't work out very well.

Code:
auto it
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet static
address 000.9.90.000/27
gateway 000.9.90.000
pointpoint 000.9.90.000

iface eno1 inet6 static
address xxx:4f8:151:xxx:2/64
gateway fe80::1

iface eth0 inet manual

I tried this example here

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet static

iface eno1 inet6 static

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address xxx.9.90.xxx/27
gateway xxx.9.90.xxx
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

Can anyone help with this configuration?
Try setting the eno1 inet/inet6 to manual and it should work, leave the vmbr0 at static, make sure after the changes you reboot the server and you should be good.

I hope this helps,
Michael

Try setting the eno1 inet/inet6 to manual and it should work, leave the vmbr0 at static, make sure after the changes you reboot the server and you should be good.

I hope this helps,
Michael
Yes I did that but I will need 2 Additional IPS to create two VMs These IPS have the same Gateway how could i do this Could you give a tip

Yes I did that but I will need 2 Additional IPS to create two VMs These IPS have the same Gateway how could i do this Could you give a tip
I am not sure what you mean by the same gateway, IF they all have the same gateway then they are on the same network segment and it is as simple as giving the VMs a static IP, in Linux depending on which flavor there should be plenty of info on google how to set the ip if it's Windows it is even more simple. You do this from with in the OS itself.

Thanks for the answer
I did the following.

In the main network I added the ip router
up ip route add xx.9.90.xxx/32 dev vmbr0

And in formatting I selected Manual DHCP and added the IP information: GATEWAY AND NETMASK

After completing the formatting
edited vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Code:
BOOTPROTO="none" to BOOTPROTO="dhcp"

And there was an external network here, everything is fine now from the looks of it

One question is it safe to use for host. Example a VM with cPanel installed As I don't know Proxmox I had this doubt

Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem, but you would not need to define/create the 2 other VM IP's in the Proxmox host /etc/network/interfaces file at all.

Using your second example /etc/network/interfaces file option, You create/install the 2 VM's and use vmbr0 as the Bridge for the network device in both. Then boot the VM's and set the desired Static IP/Gateway (obviously in the xxx.9.90.xxx/27 subnet) using the VM's default/typical method.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem, but you would not need to define/create the 2 other VM IP's in the Proxmox host /etc/network/interfaces file at all.

Using your second example /etc/network/interfaces file option, You create/install the 2 VM's and use vmbr0 as the Bridge for the network device in both. Then boot the VM's and set the desired Static IP/Gateway (obviously in the xxx.9.90.xxx/27 subnet) using the VM's default/typical method.
Thanks for the feedback.
It's ok now.
In the above format it is working fine.
After restarting the server, I did another test and created a VM there that recognized the IP by the Mac.
I no longer needed to create with Manual DHCP, and do that maneuver in the OS to work.

I'm just in doubt now to generate another additional ipv6 for VM
I believe how I specified up ip -6 route add xxxx:4f8:xxxx:31ac::/64 dev vmbr0

If I generate an ipv6 example xxxx:4f8:xxxx:31ac::3 within the OS it should recognize good at least in taoria.

But that won't be a problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!