Help with disk size shrinking for new LXC

jumper49

Nov 12, 2023
I am trying to setup a new LXC, and i am very new at proxmox and home servers in general. How do i shrink this ZFS volume so that when I assign an LXC to use it as storage it doesnt have access to the whole thing?

I want to create partitions or small sections on it but i do already have data on it as no UI's highlighted this problem until i install CasaOS.

I have attached some screenshots and would appreciate any help available to me (I have been up for hours and dont want to break anything, I have run commands to give you the info of my current dumpster fire of a setup)

I would appreciate if you could explain where I have went wrong as well as I would like to learn and only know windows.

Thank you kind stranger :)

How do i shrink this ZFS volume so that when I assign an LXC to use it as storage it doesnt have access to the whole thing?
Generally speaking, shrinking is always much, much harder and growing a filesystem. Therefore, there is no button to do this in the GUI and that is a good think. Specially for ZFS datasets (not zvols), it is easy. You need to find out your container id, then find the underlying zfs dataset and change the quota setting for it. Please see here.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!