Help with data sharing. NFS? Mount bind? Too much info.

fraterns

Mar 15, 2024
Current Set up
Single Proxmox server (Proxmox 1)
Ubuntu unprivileged LXC on local-LVM (Server 1)
a ZFS Pool named Storage
ZFS Pool Storage has been mount point to Ubuntu LXC /mnt/data
Docker running on Ubuntu LXC (Server 1) to download media and store in on the ZFS Pool Bind /mnt/data

I will be adding an additional proxmox server (Proxmox 2) to run media player, PLEX, Jellyfin etc.
I assume I will cluster the two for management if nothing else.

What is the best/proper/easiest way for the Media players on the second Proxmox servers to see/access the data..

I have read too much and have too many questions at this point. Please correct if anything I state is wrong. Ignoring the permissions issue for the moment.....

- I first thought to create a CT on Proxmox 1 that would act as a NFS server and move the drives over there, but apparently Unprivledged containers like my Server 1 can't bind NFS (without hackish around). I assume I can't Have a CT NFS server "own" the zfspool and bind that pool as a mount point on my lxc as well.

- Sharing the pool out via NFS directly from the Proxmox 1 root server itself apparently is doable (again not supported, hackish) and I still have the issue with my unprivileged lxc not being able to bind NFS points.

- If I add NFS server directly to my Proxmox 1 and share out the mount point but leave it as a mount point on lxc Server 1 am I in dangerous territory because both the Server 1 lxc as well as the Proxmox server 1 have "direct access" to these folders/files?

- If I add NFS server directly to my lxc Server 1 and share out the mount point am I in dangerous territory because both the Server 1 lxc as well as the Proxmox server 1 have "direct access" to these folders/files? Will the fact that my Server 1 lxc is unprivileged be an issue if I attempt to use it as a NFS server?

- Am I "not seeing the forest for the trees" and missing something blatantly obvious?

So how do I get this zfs pool shared between an existing unprivileged lxc on the Proxmox server and a soon to exist (I assume privileged LXC or VM because Plex, haven't got there yet) on a second Proxmox server? And I really hope the answer doesn't include that I need to rebuild the unprivileged Server 1 lxc into a privileged lxc. :)

and now we can consider permissions and what kind of pain I might be facing depending on the answers.

Thank you so much in advance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!