Help with adding new M.2 SSD PCIe drive

sjmo2

Jan 17, 2023
I am trying to add a new additional M.2 SSD to an open slot on my home lab server running Proxmox. The addition of the new drive takes over the PCIe passthrough and does not allow the NIC assignment, so I lose network GUI. Can anyone walk me through the steps needed to attach this new drive?

1.) Always disable autostart of VMs before changing any hardware so no wrong PCIe devices get passed through crashing your whole server before you are actually would be able to login using webUI or SSH to fix stuff.
2.) You will probably have to change all occurrences (should be at least two) of the NIC name in /etc/network/intefaces and then do a reboot or systemctl restart networking, as the NIC name might change when adding or removing PCIe cards and then your old network config won't match anymore. So you need a IPMI with webKVM or connect a display + keyboard to your server to be able to log in into the local PVE console to edit the network config from there. You can see the new NIC names with ip addr.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!